Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:53 PM

Help Please, I Lost my Files

Over the weekend I updated from Win 8 to Windows 10. When this happened I had to do a search to find the old files and folders found on my desktop as they were not automatically put on my Windows 10 desktop. When I found those folders it was listed under something like C:\Users\MyComp\Desktop

I cut this folder and pasted it on my Windows 10 desktop. I also added 2 excel files to my desktop. The next morning I turned on my computer and it said the battery was about to die and to plug in the computer and press F1 to start. I plugged it in and hit F1 -- the problem was that the cord was not connected to an outlet that was working (it is an outlet connected to my light switch) and after a few moments, my computer fully turned off. I realized the mistake, turned the light switch to On and then turned my computer back on.

When the computer started again, the desktop no longer had my 'cut and paste' folder "desktop" and no longer had the 2 excel files I saved the night prior to that desktop. When searching for and files that were on my old desktop (in that folder named "desktop"), i now cannot find any.

Under "Quick Access", I found a tab that is titled "Recent Files" and under it, include some of the files in my old 'desktop' and also the 2 excel files. When I click the links, however, I get an error message saying it cannot find the file and it may have been renamed or deleted.

When searched for a restore point, it said that there were not any set up. I did not select the option to return to Windows 8.1, because I did not know if that would cause more harm than good.

I found an option to restore File History - which is part of a help, but the most recent option is Oct 14th, and I have important files saved more recently than that point, though that is better than nothing.

Can anyone please offer me help? thank you in advance to anyone who can!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Look for a folder called Windows.old, it should be C:\Windows.old

In there are all the files from Windows 8 and you should see under users what your looking for.

As for the excel files do a search: Start | Search

Type in .XLS (for Office 97-2003)......xlsx for later
Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Welcome to CTH

Look for a folder called Windows.old, it should be C:\Windows.old

In there are all the files from Windows 8 and you should see under users what your looking for.

As for the excel files do a search: Start | Search

Type in .XLS (for Office 97-2003)......xlsx for later

Thank you so much for your help and reply.

When I went to Windows.old and then Users and then MyComp and then i try to open Desktop -- it says "this folder is empty" I fear this is the file I originally cut/pasted to my Windows 10 desktop.

the Recovery folder in Windows.old is also empty.

Other folder options in Windows.old are: PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Files (x86), Recovery, Users, WINDOWS.....is there another folder I can open to hope to find my lost files?
thank you again for your reply!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:31 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
USERS what's in there? Should be a folder with your name on it, or what ever your user name was?

Also right click on Recycling and see if they are in there.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:25 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
cut paste sounds like not same as cut copy.

Flesh cuts, always cut a grave in real life
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:32 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Now, I was sarcastic.

but REALLY

CUT do something between several system dedicated folders, drive-Letters (permanent/thumbdrive/external drives that go into hihernate outta your control...)

CUT is nowadays NOT the means you do a copy.

trust me, I do not trust any cut not any more, it takes expensive systemtools to backtrack what happened, those expensive syetemtools that can REALLY undo what happened are even more expensive.