Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:32 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Setting for folders and icons will not stay

Hello I'm sure this is something that is simple to resolve but for some reason settings for my folders and icons will not stay. For example when i start up my computer and move my trash can to the lower right corner on my desktop, reset the computer and the trash can will be lined up with other desktop icons on the left. Another example is if I assign a picture for a folder it will not apply the settings even if i select "apply" or "ok". Another is when I change the view of the icons of folders within a folder, select one of those folders, then go back to the main folder with the icon folders the view reverts back. Sorry if this seems a bit confusing. Please ask if I need to re-explain anything. This issue is extremely annoying!

Thanks
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:01 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Icons

Right click on desktop and select "View" then uncheck "Arrange icons and Align Icons to grid"

Folder

1. Right-click the folder you want to change the icon of
2. Select "Open Folder Location"... it's just above "properties"
3. Once you are in the "Folder Location", right-click the folder again that you want to change
4. Select "Properties" at the bottom
5. Select "Customize"... the far right tab
6. The "Change Icon" button is at the bottom
[Note: For the changed icon to show up in the "Library" view also, you may need to close and re-open file explorer]
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. However when I uncheck the "arrange icons and align icons to grid" it still does not solve my problem. When I uncheck those two things then arrange my icons on the desktop, still when I click refresh on the desktop or reset the computer the icons will re-arrange on the left of the screen in a column fashion.

With the folder, sorry, I was talking about when I change the picture of the folder it will not apply. So I will go into the same options that you mentioned but instead of changing the icon of the folder I want to "choose a file (picture) to show on this folder." I do choose a file and simply it will not apply that picture for the folder.
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Could be a registry entry doing this. Go to Start type in regedit, double click on the entry above.

Clicking on the + signs navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\clsid\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}]

Back it up first:

From the Registry Editor menu, choose File and then choose Export

In the Export Registry File window that appears, choose a location to save the file to.
Note: I recommend choosing the Desktop or the Documents library. Both are very easy to access if you run into problems later and need to use the file.
  1. Locate the File name: text field and enter a name for the backup file.
    Note: This name is for you to remember what the exported registry file is for. This name has no effect on anything and doesn't have to be named something technical. If you're backing up a registry subkey named BCD00000000, feel free to call it My Windows 7 Reg Backup or whatever makes sense to you.
  2. Click the Save button.
    A Registration File with an REG file extension will be created in the location you chose in Step 6 and with the file name you chose in Step 7. Continuing the example from the last step, the file would be named My Windows 7 Reg Backup.reg.
Now go back and delete that entry and close regedit. Re-arrange the icons the way you want and reboot. Did that do it?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:25 PM

Fixed both issues! I bow before your computer knowledge greatness

Thanks you so much! I knew it was something simple!

Any idea why deleting that file would resolve the problem? Secondly what was the point of the file in the first place?
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:55 AM

It was corrupt, it happens. reboot Windows rebuilds it. That entry is so Windows knows where the Icons are and where to put them (rebuild them) once you boot up.

Glad it fixed it.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:04 AM

Ah thats what I thought. Sweet on to the next issue!