Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old January 25th, 2024, 10:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Australia Day

Today, 26 January, is Australia day. The day commemorates the establishment of the first convict settlement at Sydney Cove, New South Wales on 26 January 1788. This day means different things to different people, with the Aboriginal People calling it Invasion Day. Others have tried to muddy the waters by claiming that successive events on the 26 January in later years is the reason for this day being celebrated.
Sydney Cove is now called Circular Quay, and is a transport hub on Sydney Harbour and the site of the ferry terminal. It lies between the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Old January 29th, 2024, 04:09 AM

Now this triggers my weird brain workings, as I am wondering if there weren't already some non-convict type Brits in Australia? I mean, how would they know where the best place was to set up the special settlement. (Sorry, I had to change that "convict" vocabulary. It did end up being a "special" arrangement, yes?)

By the way, wasn't it that Cook fella who was the first European who spotted and landed upon the soil of that continent? Odd I should have to ask, but that chemo stuff the docs had to use really has caused the books in my brain library to get scattered.