Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Dialup Modem Settings Not Remembered

I am using Windows XP Pro and a Swann Speed Demon dialup modem which has recently stopped remembering that is has been previosuly installed. This means that for the last five or six days, each time I try to connect to the Internet, that I have to fiddle around re-installing the driver for the modem.
Sometimes this takes several attempts but usually works in the end. Time consuming and annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this sudden change in my modem's function. I have been using the modem for more than a year now.

Once I am connected it works away without any problems.

TIA
Ron

Old August 20th, 2005, 11:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
could be a number of things

first it'd check it is seated properly in the expansion slot on the motherboard.

next uninstall the drivers and get the latest driver from the manufacturers website (do this the other way round or u wont be able to connect, lol)
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already checked out the current availabledriver and it is the same as the one that I have - and re-installed. The seatings are OK.

My problem seems to be related to the fatc that my computer can't remember the modem settings from one sesion to the next.

Eventually when it does connect then it is OK for that session. Still hoping for a
better suggestion.

Regards
Ron
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Go into Device Manager (right click on My Computer, left click on Properties, go to Hardware tab>Device manager button), double click on "Modems," right click on the modem listed there and left click on Uninstall.

Reboot and see if Windows can reinstall the modem to its satisfaction. If not, go ahead and reinstall it manually.
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz
Go into Device Manager (right click on My Computer, left click on Properties, go to Hardware tab>Device manager button), double click on "Modems," right click on the modem listed there and left click on Uninstall.

Reboot and see if Windows can reinstall the modem to its satisfaction. If not, go ahead and reinstall it manually.
Thanks Miz for the suggestion. I shall give it a try tomorrow after I have finished with this session which again required me to re-install the Modem driver. I just can't understand why my computer loses this installation each time I shut down.
This does seem to have occurred since I applied the suggestions made by "Theoran"
which seemed to make sense to me. After following his suggested instructions everything else seemed otbe OK.

Ron
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Dialup Modem Settings not remembered

I am still unable to get my computer to hold/remember my modem settings which means that each time I try access the Internet I have to go through the process of deleting my my modem and then re-installing it. I can then stay connected for as long as I want. But, after I restart my computer I then have to re-install the modem.

This is becoming very annoying as I have tried various suggestions.
I feel that somewhere in the Windows XP Pro settings there must be a setting which has inadvertently been unticked or deleted. Still desperate for a solution.

This modem has worked perfectly with XP Pro for more than a year now.
Then this SNAFU.
Ron
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM

http://www.swann.com.au/s-techsupporttrouble1.php#01

Question:.
Why doesn't my system detect my external modem,
or why do I have to re-install it every time I restart
my computer?

Answer:.
With Microsoft® Windows 2000 and XP the modem must be turned on before the computer is started. Also make sure your modem is correctly connected to one of the available COM ports on the back of your system by the modem data cable. Check that you are using the correct power supply for the modem, and that there is no other software using that port.
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Why doesn't my system detect my external modem

Thank you for the help offered, but I have tried this and checked and rechecked the settings without success. Each time I try to connect to the Internet, I have to reinstall my modem driver.

A clue which may help is that the system often wants to install the Rockwell driver. It still doesn't work with this.

I then install the correct Swann Speed demon driver and I am then able to connect to the Internet. But, when I shut down my system forgets that the modem driver was installed.

Ron
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncur
...A clue which may help is that the system often wants to install the Rockwell driver. It still doesn't work with this....
Have you tried removing the Rockwell driver completely. [uninstall driver in device manager]
Old August 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uripyores
Have you tried removing the Rockwell driver completely. [uninstall driver in device manager]
Probably is the answer but do it in safe mode so you can see if any other modem drivers reside there as well.
By any chance are there any other settings that seem to be losing memory?
Go into bios and be certain that all com ports or serial ports or usb ports (depending on what your modem uses) are enabled as well.
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich M
Probably is the answer but do it in safe mode so you can see if any other modem drivers reside there as well.
By any chance are there any other settings that seem to be losing memory?
Go into bios and be certain that all com ports or serial ports or usb ports (depending on what your modem uses) are enabled as well.
Thanks for the reply.
I have removed the Rockwell driver several times so I am considering removing it permanently unless it is a required driver under Windows XP.

My trouble is that my computer can't find any driver each time I restart my computer so I have to fiddle around uninstalling my modem then re-installing it. The Rockwell driver tries to install but if allowed to do so, it still doesn't allow my modem to access the Internet.

I will give the Safe Mode suggestion a try, and see what I can discover.

I am connected through Com 1 and I can't see that anything else is using this port.

Ron

Old August 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Banned

If you had another internal modem installed, open the case and remove it (though you will need to cover over the slot to keep it dust free inside)
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncur
Thanks for the reply.
I have removed the Rockwell driver several times so I am considering removing it permanently unless it is a required driver under Windows XP.

My trouble is that my computer can't find any driver each time I restart my computer so I have to fiddle around uninstalling my modem then re-installing it. The Rockwell driver tries to install but if allowed to do so, it still doesn't allow my modem to access the Internet.

I will give the Safe Mode suggestion a try, and see what I can discover.

I am connected through Com 1 and I can't see that anything else is using this port.

Ron

Thank you Rich M. I don't know why, but since re-installing the modem driver in Safe Mode, my computer system has remembered that it has a modem installed. I have tried it twice after shutting down my computer and it has dialled in without any problem. Let's hope that it keeps doing so.
Again thanks for your help.

Ron

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uripyores
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I followed Rich M's advice and re-installed my Swann SD modem in Safe Mode, and since doing it so, I have been able to access the Internet without first having to re-install the modem drivers. I had considered doing a complete uninstall of the Rockwell driver. Hopefully my computer willcontinue to remember that it has a Swann SD modem installed. Thanks again.
Ron
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Thanks so much for letting us know...the wondersof computing will never cease but by installing in safe mode, you can effectivel y remove other drivers and it was confusion that would not allow your os to remember which driver was correct.