Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:01 AM

Question XP reboots every 15 mins

Hi I am hoping someone here can help me to stop my computer from rebooting on it own; it's driving me nuts.
First I guess you will need some history:
I have a Dell 4100 Pentium III. Yesterday we installed a new 60g hard drive and a full upgrade version of XP Home Edition. ( We had winME ) We also upgraded the memory to 512. We have cable internet service with a Netgear Router that has a build in firewall.
I spent most of the day reloading everything and getting it set up. One of the first things I did was to reinstall the Norton's anti virus and do an update. So I really do not think I have any kind of virus, although I did do a full virus scan.
I have found my way around the XP pretty well and did some tweaking, nothing fancy. I have spent hours trying to figure out why this rebooting thing keeps happening. Exactly every 15 mins it reboots. I am thinking there is a setting that needs to be clicked or unclick, I just can't find anything that seems to work. I have read dozens of post here and tried a couple things that sounded as if it may work but no luck. One of the things was to turn off the hibernation, and the automatic reboot. No luck.
I really hate the thought of having to haul this thing to the shop just to have them make some strange setting that I could have done myself.
Thanks for any help that you may have to offer.
Old October 15th, 2003, 04:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi and Welcome to cybertech.

When did it start exactly? Was it running good until you started installing other things in there.

Sounds to me like there may either be a Heat issue (which I doubt since it is exactly every fifteen minutes) or some program is causing the problem.

Process of ellimination is the key here. I would most likely start with Uninstalling programs such as Nortons. Then reboot and give the machine a try.
Old October 15th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Thanks but that was not it. I uninstalled the Norton’s and it is still shutting down. There is really not much else in there except the Works Suite with just the Word 2000. I did install a couple other things but that was yesterday (Tuesday ) and the rebooting started on Monday. I should have also mentioned that it does not shut down as long as we are using it. By the way the air blowing from the fan is cool. This thing has really got me puzzled. It looks as if a trip to the repair shop is going to be next. Grrrrr! :grit:
Thanks for your help, if you can think of anything else I'll give it a try.
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:30 PM

Is it rebooting or simplly powering down? I am thinking that the Power settings in the control panel might be set to power down after 15 min. Try using the "never / never" option and save it
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:52 PM

If the computer just shuts down (ie, like, if you pull the plugg).
Check the power supply.. Most modern Computers need >300w PS.
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Smile

Thanks everyone, the answers are: No it does not power down or just shut off as if you pull the plug. It does a complete reboot as if I were to click on shut down then reboot.
I just reinstalled the XP software hoping that perhaps it just did not go in right the first time. I just over wrote it, I did not format the hard drive. It has been about 30 mins now and so far no rebooting. My fingers are crossed.
I have not reinstalled Norton's yet, I figured I would wait awhile to see what happens. I'll let you know.

Update. It's been a couple hours now without rebooting itself, I think it's fixed! I want to think everyone for your response and your concern.

Last edited by my shadow; October 15th, 2003 at 06:12 PM.