Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:57 AM

ipod purchase

My son recently received an ipod for his birthday and it came with a program called limewire, which he installed on my computer. I have received a virus from an unsafe download while his brother (my younger son) was using my computer without my knowledge. I have since removed the program limewire from my computer and instructed both of my sons not to touch my laptop and not to install any programs on the desktop.

Is this program legal???? If not, why are the makers of ipod distributing it with new ipods?

I guess I'm just ignorant. I don't really know of all these new things that are out, but I guess I need to educate myself as my kids know more than I do. ANy information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello shawsome01,

I can see in a recent request here some computer there had indications of illegal music downloads involved. Limewire is a P2P file "sharing" software, but I am not real sure iPod would distribute or encourage the use of it, since it can be a means of bypassing the required iPod paid downloads. Did you actually see the Limewire software with the iPod package before it was installed?
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:04 AM

In speaking with my son, he has concluded that limewire was probably a link he was either given or heard about. At first, he was telling me that it was included with his ipod, but itunes is the program that came with his ipod. Sorry for the confusion. Kids will say anything without thinking. Needless to say, I have removed limewire from all my computers and forbidden my children from reinstalling that or any other p2p program. I even told them I would give them itunes gift cards for christmas.

So, is there someway to remove the virus from my computer? I went to my avast program and deleted the files that showed being infected in there. If I messed anything up I will simply remove the program and redownload and install it. I also deleted the infected downloaded files. I reran bitdefender and it is now showing clear of problems. Is there anything else I should do to maintain, such as running bitdefender from time to time? Avast and McAfee don't seem to catch everything.
Thank you
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Unfortunately, as indicated here, your situation as far as infection solutions are involved is not addressable here at this time.