Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Red face What do I need to be able to play FEAR, HL2, etc?

Do I need to sell my soul to the devil? No, really. I recently bought a geforce video card. I think it's a 256mb 5500FX.
Well, anyways I really need help from pro's like you. What the heck do I need to be able to play high-end games. You know, I would settle for being able to play FEAR on a Medium Setting. But all I can barely manage is using the absolute low quality setting.

Well all this info is taken for EA's EasyInfo. It came with Battlefield 2 (which I play on low quality)

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

System Memory (RAM?) 512.5

Processor Speed 2659.7

DirectX Version 9.0c

Display Device NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Display Memory 256.0

Display Driver 6.14.10.8198

Sound Device Realtek AC97 Audio

Sound Driver 5.10.4080

Are some of the these parts in a DIRE NEED for replacement?

Also, is there a more recent video display driver available for my graphics card?

Thanks for your help! ^_^
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:44 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
well first you should download Windows XP SP2

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...&&thankspage=5

Maybe gat a stick of RAM and your processor could be a little more. Make sure your PC is cooled correctly. keep it clean. Defrag your HD reguarly. Here just look at my system specs in my signature. I can run all my games at the highest setting. Besides COD2 my resolution is at 800x600 i think. But other than that it is great
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I would say anything faster than a Celeron 2.8GHz would be best suitable for high end games, but if you're going to get into it, go for AMD, they are best for gaming rigs ( besides, it's cheaper and performs better ( in my opinion ) than Pentium ) heh. Says me with a Celeron.
a 128mb graphics card should do, if you wanted a little higher performance, I'd go for the 6600GT, theyre good. But the one you have should be fine.

Perhaps 1gb of RAM would benefit you, but 512 should do, as XP only uses 128mb at the most.

You will most likely able to find the latest drivers for your graphics card on the nvidia website, so thats no real hassle there.

Anyway I'm not a big gamer so that's just my opinion :P
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

Excuse me but where did you get this info from:
Quote:
as XP only uses 128mb at the most
XP loves ram and the more the better. Put a system together with only a 128mb and then look at task manager, under performance and you've got about 19mb left. I know, a Dell I was upgrading for friends had just 128 and just to show the friend why they needed more ram, loaded task manager, performance tab showed 19mb left and nothing was running except the dell software and operating system.

A gig at least for games. One thing I do agree on is AMD are great for gamers.
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I got it from personal experience? My old system ran fine on 256, xp used about 110mb ram average
Of course I would say use at least 512mb ram, but it can run fine on 256
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

I would say it depends on what you do. But playing high end games one really needs at least a gig. Those games do love their ram. At least Far Cry does. Don't play those others. But I would not build another system with XP Pro without at least 512mb to start.
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Ok, so clearly my computer is up to at least medium quility. But why can I only play them on low???? Is my RAM the only thing that's raping my gaming experience? Also, how much does a AMD processor cost? How fast is it in Ghz.
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

I see you're using the newest nvidia driver. What you might do is use an older driver. The newest ones are for 6000 and 7000 cards. Going back and using one of the previous drivers would probably be better. If the driver was not made for your card it's not going to help much. I am using 66.73, come to that, I should change mine since my card is a 6200. but I've seen problems with those drivers on my other card which was a FX5500 OC BFG.

For my basic system, before adding the new graphics card and two new DVD drives, the whole setup cost me $500-$700 USD. It's in my sig, and the 2400+ runs at the equivilant of P4 2.4ghz. Having said that, I have a p4 2.7 at work that this AMD out runs, hands down.