Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old October 30th, 2004, 04:37 AM

mozilla firefox& others...please help!

hello, i just installed SuSE 9.1 onto my laptop, and dont know how to install programs.... everything is running great, but i tried to install mozilla firefox, and its not working.... how do you install stuff in linux?

easy explanation, please, im coming from xp professional...lol

thanks,
chris
Old October 31st, 2004, 04:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Welcome to the world of linux. You can install programs with YAST or with rpm commands. A good place to look for packages "rpm's" for Suse is here if you find what you need there use YAST2 to install or run the command rpm -i <program>.rpm
That should get you started. If you don't see a program you want on that site then post back with what you are looking for as we can help you from there. Also you might want to search the Suse install cd's for app's as Suse comes with a pretty good number of app's. The key with linux "any distro" is the more you read the better off you are. So do read up there are tons of readme's on the net that will help you.