Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM

Unhappy BIOS Problem

My daughters EMachine T2615 hard drive crashed. I purchased a new Western Digital 160 Gig hard drive, and upgraded her ram. However, I cannot get the Bios to recognize the hard drive. I can click autodetect, and it recognizes all the properties, but when I hit F10 to save and exit, when I come back in, the CMOS has not registered it. Under Primary IDE it simply shows [W . I also had a slave drive in, which autodetect would also give the correct stats, but it would not save either. It shows [NONE]. I have tried everything, putting the new and the slave drive on alone (always with the jumper in the proper position for master without slave, both in with proper master and slave jumper settings, etc. I tried changing the battery. I used the jumper to clear the cmos, reset the date, and that worked, so it is not the battery, and the save function does work, at least for the date. I am stumped completely. Any suggestions are helpful. (The hard drives are good. I have placed them in other machines and they were recognized.)