Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Power Supply and Video Card for Gateway GT5238E

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my power supply and video card on my computer. It's a Gateway Media Center PC (GT5238E). I believe the power supply is only about 300w that came with the computer and I upgraded my video card to Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS. I was wondering which power supply would be compatible with my system to be able to run a better video card and which video card i should get. I'm not looking to spend an insane amount of money but I dont want something thats junk. The monitor I have is a 24 inch HD Dell (S2409W). I don't know if its me but the DVD movies i have look a little choppy on this monitor but the bluray movies look perfect. Can someone suggest a power supply and good video card that I should buy.
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Hi markbrooklyn welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W Power supply
ASUS EAH3450 Radeon HD 3450 512MB Video card
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM

hey thanks for replying. do i need windows vista for that video card? because i got windows xp still and when i tryed to buy the video card it kept tryin to give me the windows vista too with the card but i just want the card.. also i wanted to know if you think with my system i would be able to install a bluray drive?
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrooklyn View Post
do i need windows vista for that video card?
No.
Quote:
because i got windows xp still and when i tryed to buy the video card it kept tryin to give me the windows
vista too with the card
Windows XP and Windows Vista are entire operating systems, video card manufacturers are
not allowed to distribute Microsoft operating systems. What the video card manufacturers give
with the cards is "drivers". You saw a "Windows Vista driver" included with the card. The card
is no good to anyone without a driver to "merge" with the operating system (Windows Vista, Windows XP).

The card is called "hardware" and the driver is called "software", Windows Vista and Windows XP
are "software". Hardware can't operate without software and any hardware can't function without a driver.
This why the driver comes with the card.

Quote:
would be able to install a bluray drive?
Yes, you pull out the DVD that is in there and stick in the Blu-Ray DVD.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Sorry to keep bothering you but the specs say built for Windows Vista, I have Windows XP will it still work on my computer? Also my power supply is 300 watts would this video card work without me having to upgrade my power supply? ive been searching online and it doesnt say what the minimum power supply is for this video card.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Sorry to keep bothering you but the specs say built for Windows Vista,
I have Windows XP will it still work on my computer?
It's not the operating system that dictates what you can put in that Gateway it's what video port it has. The Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
is a PCI Express 16X card and it has to be plugged into a PCI Express 16X slot.

You are now using (for video) an onboard chip on the motherboard, Intel X3000. The machine (your Gateway) has a 16X PCI Express
slot to put that Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card into. The Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS has a Windows XP and a Windows Vista
driver available at Nvidia.

Quote:
Also my power supply is 300 watts would this video card work without me having to upgrade my power supply?
Probably not. 300 watts is going to be so close to the maximum the power supply will burn out soon if it even boots at all.
Gateway always under powers their supplies because they want you to buy a power supply from them when you plug more
stuff into that machine.

Personally I wouldn't be spending any money on a Gateway. You only have 1GB of RAM in that machine and I bet there is
almost ½ of it gone after Windows XP is booted and the motherboard has "allotted" some RAM.

You should have this...
4 GB RAM
Windows Vista
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
520+ watt power supply
This way your Gateway will run cooler, faster, and have a longer life.

To save money you could get away with this...
2 GB RAM
Windows XP
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
420+ watt power supply
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
It's not the operating system that dictates what you can put in that Gateway it's what video port it has. The Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
is a PCI Express 16X card and it has to be plugged into a PCI Express 16X slot.

You are now using (for video) an onboard chip on the motherboard, Intel X3000. The machine (your Gateway) has a 16X PCI Express
slot to put that Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card into. The Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS has a Windows XP and a Windows Vista
driver available at Nvidia.

Probably not. 300 watts is going to be so close to the maximum the power supply will burn out soon if it even boots at all.
Gateway always under powers their supplies because they want you to buy a power supply from them when you plug more
stuff into that machine.

Personally I wouldn't be spending any money on a Gateway. You only have 1GB of RAM in that machine and I bet there is
almost ½ of it gone after Windows XP is booted and the motherboard has "allotted" some RAM.

You should have this...
4 GB RAM
Windows Vista
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
520+ watt power supply
This way your Gateway will run cooler, faster, and have a longer life.

To save money you could get away with this...
2 GB RAM
Windows XP
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
420+ watt power supply
Oh ok, I have 3 gigs of ram right now and windows xp along with nvidia geforce 7600 gs, It works great for games but i need a hdcp compatible card because i downloaded a few bluray movies that are 1080p and they're skipping bad and freezing up.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
i downloaded a few bluray movies
Downloaded from where?
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Downloaded from where?
from Mininova.org. I've already downloaded blurays that were 720p and they are fine but the one i downloaded that was 1080p was freezing up and distorting a little.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Actually nevermind, for some reason it works fine when i use windows media player to watch it but when i use the VLC player its super laggy, Usually the VLC player works great for any file.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
for some reason it works fine
Ok, that's good for you.
Quote:
Downloaded from where
Quote:
from Mininova.org
You should know that is movie pirating and we don't assist anyone with illegal activities.
I'm going to close this thread.
Closed Topic