Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:44 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Installed Antivirus - cannot access Windows

I installed Norton Antivirus today and it worked fine.
However after PC was Shut Down and started again, I am getting a message saying "a problem has been detected and WIndows has been shut down to prevent damage...check to be sure you have adequate disk space....if I need to start Safe Mode to remove or disable components...."
How do I get to Safe Mode? I pointed the boot to the CD (XP with SP2), and selected New Set Up and Repair - neither worked. Not sure where I go from here. I cannot access the Start key so I cannot get Safe Mode using the System Config Utility.
LNDJ
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi lndj331,

When you start/restart your computer, keep tapping the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. You should then get a menu of various boot options, one of which is Safe Mode. Use the cursor keys on your keyboard to highlight Safe Mode then hit ENTER.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Hi Greta:
When I tap F8, "Select First Boot Device" box comes up with the following options:
- Floppy
- USB FDD
- IDE-0
- CDROM
- NETWORK.
I input the CD, selected the CDROM and Network options and "Windows Setup" started (loading of files). Then the following options came up:
- to set up XP now, press ENTER
- to repair XP using Recovery Console, press R
- to quit setup press F3.
If I select the first option, the licence agreement comes up and when I press F8 for "I agree" nothing happens. Should I select Recovery Console?
LNDJ
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

This is one of those times that I wish BIOS manufacturers would steer clear of using the F8 key for any of their options....plenty of other F keys for them to use.

You'll have to watch the bottom of the screen carefully to wait for the BIOS F key options (such as press F8 to Select Boot Device) to flash off and then start tapping the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. Here is an image of what the XP Advanced Options menu looks like. It is from within this menu that you would choose Safe Mode.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks..got it to work!!
I was able to go back to Last Good Configuration and I am back up. I will contact Norton technical support to find out if there is a problem downloading the anti-virus software (maybe the driver!).
LNDJ
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

You're welcome, glad you got it to work

My advice would be to steer clear of Norton altogether, but that's just me. In my opinion, it was a good product, until Peter Norton sold it to Symantec.

Good luck and hope the techs are able to help you get things squared away.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndj331 View Post
I will contact Norton technical support to find out if there is a problem downloading the anti-virus software (maybe the driver!).
LNDJ
Were you able to get anywhere with Norton technical support?
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM

No reply back as yet. Will let you know.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretaP View Post
You're welcome, glad you got it to work

My advice would be to steer clear of Norton altogether, but that's just me. In my opinion, it was a good product, until Peter Norton sold it to Symantec.

Good luck and hope the techs are able to help you get things squared away.

Agree 100% with that statement. I highly advise against using ANY norton/symantec product anymore because of a couple of reasons. One is it is a resource HOG, and its also a pain to uninstall. Personally I use CA at home and we use a whole mess of CA software here at work.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
No reply back as yet. Will let you know.
Yes, please let me know if Tech Support doesn't resolve your problem. I work with Norton and can happily ensure that your issues are taken care of.

And, not to evangelize too much, but I strongly believe that Symantec has made many very positive steps forward in recent Norton products, especially in terms of system resource usage and other performance issues. While still offering the same levels of protection, they get lighter, meaner and faster every year.
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM

2007 was uninstalled and 2008 was installed successfully on Saturday by Symantec. I did Shut Down and startup...and same thing can't use PC - BSOD. I am now running in 'Safe Mode with Networking' waiting for assistance since then. Could I contact Tech Support using Live Chat whilst in Safe Mode? I sent an email on Saturday - awaiting a response.
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
And, not to evangelize too much, but I strongly believe that Symantec has made many very positive steps forward in recent Norton products, especially in terms of system resource usage and other performance issues.
Yep, I can see that.

Quote:
Could I contact Tech Support using Live Chat whilst in Safe Mode?
I don't know for sure, but I'd be giving it a try!
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
2007 was uninstalled and 2008 was installed successfully on Saturday by Symantec. I did Shut Down and startup...and same thing can't use PC - BSOD. I am now running in 'Safe Mode with Networking' waiting for assistance since then. Could I contact Tech Support using Live Chat whilst in Safe Mode? I sent an email on Saturday - awaiting a response.
You should be able to connect to Live Chat using Safe Mode. If you can't, however, please feel free to send me a Private Message or email me at my personal email address, which is my username @gmail.com.

I can put you in touch directly with the Executive Support team. I want to make sure that your issues are resolved.

Best,
George