Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Can't run Vista outside of safe mode.

Please do not answer before reading all details.

I upgraded from Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 2400 desktop last night. Everything was going great until, the computer locked up while installing updates and I restarted it. Now everytime I reboot there's a blue screen that scans (my memory I think) and it takes me to the screen where you can choose to load windows in safe mode. I performed a disk scan, while in safe mode, and it let me run Windows Vista normally. I reinstalled the updates. Everything was fine until I had to restart the computer and it done the same thing. When I started the computer in safe mode it finished with the updates. Then it said "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes." That finished but I still can't run outside of safe mode. My question is, how can I get Vista running normally? What's wrong with my computer? Any advice would be helpful.

Before all this happened, I installed the drive for my video card. It ran fine after I installed the drive so I don't think that's the problem. I tried doing the startup recovery and I can't access it because the dvd drive that I use for the Windows Vista disk is through USB. I want to run my computer normally, not in safe mode, and not have this problem every time I reboot. 4 minutes ago Lastly, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium ( from upgrade) with service pack 1.
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Is this OEM or downloaded?