Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:12 AM

? about a clean install of Windows 7

Hi there,

I was lucky enough to be picked as a host for the Windows 7 Launch Party at Houseparty.com. As a host we're given a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm suppose to receive mine tomorrow. I bought a new laptop a few months ago and plan on using that to put it on. I've only ever done upgrades, never done a clean install. I've been reading all I can about it but have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer. I've bookmarked 3 sites that give pretty detailed instructions with pics except the last site. Which is the one I'm going with...mostly.

First question is;

Is it best to start the whole process booting from the Windows 7 DVD or starting Windows and then putting the DVD in and go from there?

Second question is;

When I get to the stage that I'm suppose to delete the partitions that have my operating system on, I'm a bit confused about what mine shows. On my C drive (which I'm assuming that is the one with operating system) that is what I'm suppose to delete, right? Then there is the D drive which says Recovery (Healthy(Primary Partition)) Am I suppose to delete that also?

I haven't been here in quite awhile. But whenever I have any computer problems this is the place I come to for help. So if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM

O/S: Linux
G'day tami3.
Last time I tried to help some-one. Other senior's made sure I new that I had made a mistake.
I will try to be a bit more careful this time.

Question 1) It doesn't much matter. I have done it both ways. Coming to the same result.
You can dual boot it with winXP/Vista if you want to as well.

Question2) 'D drive Recovery' sound's to me like the hidden recovery partition put in there by the manufacturer.
If it is. It is put there so that if you don't like what you have done to your computer. You should be able to restart with your finger holding a particular key down to access this partition and reset the computer to the way it was when it came out of the factory.

I never remove that partition.

You can delete it if you want to, but if you do.
When Feb/March 2010 arrives and the trial win7 starts shutting down on you every 2 hours. You will then have to buy win7 or find another program to run your computer on.

When June 2010 (I think) arrives the win7 trial version will stop working all together.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

congrats on getting a free copy of win7 - u iz lucky...

windows 7 is very easy to install, all you will have to do is to place the dvd into the drive and go. Just read and follow the on screen instructions no matter when you put the dvd into the drive. There really is not much you have to do until it is installed.

As far as deleting your partitions, that is up to you, you will be given a choice as part of the setup process where to install win7. If there is an os already in the partition you want to use, it should format and overwrite it.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. Yeah, I am very lucky to be getting a free copy of Windows 7, especially the Ultimate version. I had pre-ordered a standard Home edition, but I think I'm going to cancel that now.

When I realized the laptop didn't come with a recovery CD, I had to go hunt around and figure out how I would be able to go back to factory settings. And it was really just a one click deal. I wasn't sure if that was what that partition was on the hard drive. But now I do, so thanks for that. I'll just leave that partition alone.

Oh and sladden, I have an honest to goodness version of Ultimate free and clear.

One other little thing. Before I start this I'm going to make a clone image of my computer and store it on an external hard drive in case anything goes wrong. It is suggested after I have finished installing the new Windows and have everything done before installing my programs that I should do another image of the computer and store it somewhere. Can I just get rid of the first cloned image I did in the beginning?
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

it is not a bad idea to do a clone. I do not think it is needed especially if you are running vista on the new computer - but you never know :-)

As far as doing a backup after you get the computer setup, that works too, you can delete the other backup without any problems once it is not needed.

If your computer did not come with a recovery cd, then there should be a recovery partition on your computer. Most new computers now will ask if you want to create recovery disks the first time you turned it on. If you did not, you still can - go ahead and make a set in case you change your computer and want to move the ultimate win7 to another computer.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:35 AM

G'day tami3 3.
I realy must congratulate you on getting the win7 free and clear. They gave me the completely free and clean Ultimate trial version with the restrictions for next year that I said.
Once again congratulations because the Ultimate version is not going to be cheap to buy, but it does look good to use.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Yeah sladden, I feel very lucky.

Just wanted to let you know I did the clean install with just one small hitch. I was using iolo System Shield and checked before hand to be sure it could be used with Windows 7. Apparently it can't. And Windows wouldn't tell me that. It just wouldn't load after I installed it. Tried it again and finally figured out I couldn't use it. I wish Windows would of just told me and not just give me a error report and shut down. That's a bit aggravating. Anyway I installed AVG and everything is fine now.

So thank you both for your help. It's much appreciated.

Tami
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami3_3 View Post
Yeah sladden, I feel very lucky.

Just wanted to let you know I did the clean install with just one small hitch. I was using iolo System Shield and checked before hand to be sure it could be used with Windows 7. Apparently it can't. And Windows wouldn't tell me that. It just wouldn't load after I installed it. Tried it again and finally figured out I couldn't use it. I wish Windows would of just told me and not just give me a error report and shut down. That's a bit aggravating. Anyway I installed AVG and everything is fine now.

So thank you both for your help. It's much appreciated.

Tami
unfortuately there is no test or no way to know what will work and what will not work with win7. The only thing I had that did not work was my webcam but then nobody wants to see my ugly mug anyway so its no lost.

As far as your iolo System Shield not working, I just googled it and there were several articles about it working with win7.