Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 17th, 2023, 05:25 PM

Exclamation """"How to find a keyboard like mine?

I am trying to find and purchase a keyboard as close as possible to my existing keyboard. It is wearing out, and I have years of muscle memory invested in it.

I wish I could post a photo, but bizarrely that seems impossible on this forum.

You can see the keyboard on the Amazon page under this description:

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR Gaming PC, Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB, 8GB DDR4, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, WiFi Ready & Win 10 Home (GXiVR8060A8, Black)

Keyboard came with my computer, and the manufacturer says they can't/won't sell me a replacement, yet they are STILL SELLING this exact model!
Communicating with them is like talking to a zombie or a robot.

Computer not under warranty, and manufacturer named Cyberpower is notorious for bad tech support and shipping things that are not assembled correctly.

The key factors:

1. Color Coded WASD and Arrow keys;

2. The controls for volume up/down are on the SIDE of the keyboard. Volume up or down functions in a way I love: hold down either up or down volume key, and release when you are satisfied. No need to repeatedly tap. On the other side of the keyboard is a volume MUTE button.

3. The keys are fat and chunky, not flat.

Keyboards have insane psychotic prices now. I'm not paying over 100 dollars for a keyboard. If it is that expensive to ship from china, why don't they move the factory to America?

I've shopped, and all I can find are keyboards with "media control"-- tiny buttons along the very top, above the F keys, where they would be an immense pain to access. I am sixty years old. I don't have a child's eyesight or reflexes.

some put them above the Num Pad, and that's no better.

I'd also like to buy more RAM, but don't know if I'd also need a power upgrade, and don't know what type of RAM to buy.

The intake and outake air fans are wimps. Should I just get a pair of small desk fans and blow in/out with those?

The remote control to turn on/off the fan lights is broken, and I can't figure out how to manually shut them off.

Thanks for your constructive help.

Last edited by JetsBills; August 17th, 2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old August 18th, 2023, 04:03 PM

First, you are still young! I have more than a decade over you.

I have 3 pair of glasses. Clear tri-focals for normal use. Dark bi-focals for driving (distance and dashboard viewing) and my 3rd pair just for using the computer. My computer glasses main area has a focal length arm's reach out - which just happens to be where my monitors sit. The lower bi-focal part focuses just about were my keyboard is. I could use my tri-focals for computing, but I'd have to hold my head in a fixed position all the time - not good for older necks.

Yes, having 3 pairs of glasses is expensive - but worth it, IMO. No eyestrain or neckaches.

And yes, I don't like change either. But I don't see what muscle memory has to do with using a keyboard. A QWERTY keyboard is a QWERTY keyboard. Yes, some special function keys may be in slightly different locations, but the vast majority of keys will be right were the tips of your fingers expect them. Point is, our muscles (and brains) are able to relearn (and learn new) movements/motions. And of course, the color of the keys have nothing to do with muscle memory.

I think you are just going to have to hunt until you find one that is close enough. I did a search of volume "knob" instead of "controls" and found this to maybe give you some ideas. https://voltcave.com/keyboard-volume-knob/

But I note keyboards (and mice) are extensions of our own hands. What "feels" great to me may feel awkward or even painful to you. This means, unless you can find and exact replacement, you really need to test drive it first. Not an easy task since everything is on line. But places like Best Buy and MicroCenter typically have a bunch of demos. Just try to position the keyboard about the same height and position as yours would be at your desk. And take some hand sanitizer with you!

Adding additional sticks of RAM increases the power demands by only a small amount so needing a bigger power supply just to support more RAM is rarely needed. Sadly, I don't see a power supply listed at Amazon so I am assuming here - something I hate to do when giving technical advice but feel pretty comfortable doing so here.

But do note upgrading RAM often requires tossing the old and replacing it all. This is often due to a limited number of slots. The good news there is replacing sticks - even with higher capacity stick - never (at least in my experience) increases power demands by any significant amount. For example, the power needed to support a 16GB stick of RAM is about equal that needed to support a 8GB stick.

I recommend you visit and use the Crucial System Scanner. This little (and safe!) app will scan your system, determine what you have, what it will support, then recommend compatible RAM for upgrades. And if you buy suggested RAM it is guaranteed to be compatible. You don't have to buy from that site but I have found their prices sometimes even beat Amazon.

If you don't want Crucial, you can use the specs suggested by Crucial when looking for other brands. That said, most other RAM makers have similar RAM "wizards".

Adequate cooling is essential - achieving the lowest temperature possible is not. Are you monitoring your temps? I use and recommend Core Temp to monitor CPU temps in real time. Under Options > Settings > Notification Area, I have mine set to display "Highest temperature" only.

You can use a desk fan but I typically only recommend that for troubleshooting potential heat related issues. First, make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust. I lug my systems outside and blast them out with my air compressor. You can use cans of compressed dusting gas, but that is a pain. I use a wooden glue/Popsicle stick to hold the fans stationary while cleaning.

I also make sure all my cases have removable, washable air filters. Dust still works its way in, but the filters catch the vast majority of it so I rarely have to lug the systems outside for cleaning. My back appreciates that.

If your system is clean and you are still concerned about heat, inspect the case interior to see if you can add a fan, and/or replace the fans with bigger ones. Some cases come with 120mm fans but have mounting holes to support 140mm fans. Many factory made computers come with fewer fans than the case supports making adding a fan easy. You typically want good front-to-back flow with "slight" over or positive pressure. Positive pressure ensures the vast majority of air being drawn into the case comes through the filters first.

So there's something to chew on for awhile.
Old August 18th, 2023, 10:39 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Okay JetsBills,

I found a place that sells your keyboard, and doesn't break the Bank.
https://www.tcsny.it/product/cyberpo...ming-keyboard/

I know how hard it can be to find a setup you like.
Then later find out that manufacturer no longer makes that certain item.
As for Fans and Memory upgrades.

Like Digerati said,
Go to Crucial for what is the Maximum amount of memory your system can support.
The prices on DDR4 Memory Sticks are quite good, now that DDR5 & DDR6 are the latest standard that is being pushed by the motherboard makers, and Graphic card makers.

The case fans that came with your system are the cheap 120MM sleeve bearing fans.
{I can't make out the top of the case, if it has room for a pair 140mm Fans.}

I agree with Digerati, that you want positive air going into the case from the front, and exhaust the air out the back top of the case for best air flow.

As for the RGB Color Lighting.......
Just remove it.

Signed: Ensign Tzap

Old August 18th, 2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
and doesn't break the Bank.
I'll say. $25 for a keyboard you actually like is a [almost too-good-to-be-true] bargain, If I really REALLY liked that keyboard, I probably would buy 2 or 3 just to have as spares sitting in my closet, in case I couldn't fine them anymore some time down the road.

Nice fine, Ensign Tzap!
Old August 19th, 2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
I'll say. $25 for a keyboard you actually like is a [almost too-good-to-be-true] bargain, If I really REALLY liked that keyboard, I probably would buy 2 or 3 just to have as spares sitting in my closet, in case I couldn't fine them anymore some time down the road.

Nice fine, Ensign Tzap!
Hmmm...........

I don't know how capable JetsBills is...
But if it were me, I would do two extra keyboards.
Put one in to service, to replace the broken one.
Only I would hang on to the broken one as a parts donor.
Then when the second keyboard starts having problems.
Put the third keyboard in to service, then combine parts from the two broken keyboards to make one good keyboard.

I've worked on some of the better gaming keyboards,
and they use individual switches under each key.
Thus, if the switches under the W A S Z or Arrow Keys get worn out or break.
You can just replace them with good switches from the Donor Parts Keyboard.

Old August 20th, 2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
First, you are still young! I have more than a decade over you.

I have 3 pair of glasses. Clear tri-focals for normal use. Dark bi-focals for driving (distance and dashboard viewing) and my 3rd pair just for using the computer. My computer glasses main area has a focal length arm's reach out - which just happens to be where my monitors sit. The lower bi-focal part focuses just about were my keyboard is. I could use my tri-focals for computing, but I'd have to hold my head in a fixed position all the time - not good for older necks.

Yes, having 3 pairs of glasses is expensive - but worth it, IMO. No eyestrain or neckaches.

And yes, I don't like change either. But I don't see what muscle memory has to do with using a keyboard. A QWERTY keyboard is a QWERTY keyboard. Yes, some special function keys may be in slightly different locations, but the vast majority of keys will be right were the tips of your fingers expect them. Point is, our muscles (and brains) are able to relearn (and learn new) movements/motions. And of course, the color of the keys have nothing to do with muscle memory.

I think you are just going to have to hunt until you find one that is close enough. I did a search of volume "knob" instead of "controls" and found this to maybe give you some ideas. https://voltcave.com/keyboard-volume-knob/

But I note keyboards (and mice) are extensions of our own hands. What "feels" great to me may feel awkward or even painful to you. This means, unless you can find and exact replacement, you really need to test drive it first. Not an easy task since everything is on line. But places like Best Buy and MicroCenter typically have a bunch of demos. Just try to position the keyboard about the same height and position as yours would be at your desk. And take some hand sanitizer with you!

Adding additional sticks of RAM increases the power demands by only a small amount so needing a bigger power supply just to support more RAM is rarely needed. Sadly, I don't see a power supply listed at Amazon so I am assuming here - something I hate to do when giving technical advice but feel pretty comfortable doing so here.

But do note upgrading RAM often requires tossing the old and replacing it all. This is often due to a limited number of slots. The good news there is replacing sticks - even with higher capacity stick - never (at least in my experience) increases power demands by any significant amount. For example, the power needed to support a 16GB stick of RAM is about equal that needed to support a 8GB stick.

I recommend you visit and use the Crucial System Scanner. This little (and safe!) app will scan your system, determine what you have, what it will support, then recommend compatible RAM for upgrades. And if you buy suggested RAM it is guaranteed to be compatible. You don't have to buy from that site but I have found their prices sometimes even beat Amazon.

If you don't want Crucial, you can use the specs suggested by Crucial when looking for other brands. That said, most other RAM makers have similar RAM "wizards".

Adequate cooling is essential - achieving the lowest temperature possible is not. Are you monitoring your temps? I use and recommend Core Temp to monitor CPU temps in real time. Under Options > Settings > Notification Area, I have mine set to display "Highest temperature" only.

You can use a desk fan but I typically only recommend that for troubleshooting potential heat related issues. First, make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust. I lug my systems outside and blast them out with my air compressor. You can use cans of compressed dusting gas, but that is a pain. I use a wooden glue/Popsicle stick to hold the fans stationary while cleaning.

I also make sure all my cases have removable, washable air filters. Dust still works its way in, but the filters catch the vast majority of it so I rarely have to lug the systems outside for cleaning. My back appreciates that.

If your system is clean and you are still concerned about heat, inspect the case interior to see if you can add a fan, and/or replace the fans with bigger ones. Some cases come with 120mm fans but have mounting holes to support 140mm fans. Many factory made computers come with fewer fans than the case supports making adding a fan easy. You typically want good front-to-back flow with "slight" over or positive pressure. Positive pressure ensures the vast majority of air being drawn into the case comes through the filters first.

So there's something to chew on for awhile.
Thank you for such excellent, detailed, practical and comprehensive advice.

I took off the silly plastic front guard, to allow more air in. Any recommendations for fans to replace these, as someone noted they are wimps? How do you filter the incoming air on your machine?

The machine has a silly clear plastic side window, covering all of one side. Should I just leave this off? It would let in more dust, but maybe let out more heat?

I have heard that friction from blasting air into the machine can short out the boards? I went in with the vacuum cleaner, fingers crossed, and so far seems to have not done damage.

I live in a 320 sq foot apartment in a city, with a cat, and spend all my time here, rarely go out. I do open the window at night sometimes, but I'm concerned about air quality. I resented the price of a HEPA filter fan and replacement filters for it.

I decided to get a 20 inch box fan and a washable whole house filter about the same size. Eighty buck, ***! The suction of the fan holds the filter against the fan. However, after running it overnight for a couple of weeks, I don't see any dust or cat hair on the fan. Wondering if I shot myself in the foot.

Primary issue is cat hair and dust on the keyboard, mouse pad, monitor. I'm thinking there is some kind of static electricity issue, but I have no clue how to "ground" these to stop it.

I did have CoreTemp installed, and will install it again, but I'm not sure what temperature is the border I should set for automatic shut down.

Currently I use the computer all day, and shut if off about six to eight hours a night. Is shutting down or leaving it running best? I've heard that booting up shortens the life of the machine.

Again, thank your for coherent, comprehensible, practical advice.
Old August 20th, 2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Tzap View Post
Okay JetsBills,

I found a place that sells your keyboard, and doesn't break the Bank.
https://www.tcsny.it/product/cyberpo...ming-keyboard/

I know how hard it can be to find a setup you like.
Then later find out that manufacturer no longer makes that certain item.
As for Fans and Memory upgrades.

Like Digerati said,
Go to Crucial for what is the Maximum amount of memory your system can support.
The prices on DDR4 Memory Sticks are quite good, now that DDR5 & DDR6 are the latest standard that is being pushed by the motherboard makers, and Graphic card makers.

The case fans that came with your system are the cheap 120MM sleeve bearing fans.
{I can't make out the top of the case, if it has room for a pair 140mm Fans.}

I agree with Digerati, that you want positive air going into the case from the front, and exhaust the air out the back top of the case for best air flow.

As for the RGB Color Lighting.......
Just remove it.

Wow. Thank you. What method did you use to find the keyboard?

EDIT: Nope, "in store only" sales, no shipping.

Although they are terrible, I think I will contact Cyberpower computer company tech support to find out if there is a way to control the fan lights from the keyboard.

If I upgrade the fans, do I need to also upgrade the power supply?

What do you think about this: one side of the machine is an easily removable clear plastic wall. If I remover this, I get more dust in, but maybe also more heat out?

Not too sure what is meant by "positive" air? Thanks.

Last edited by JetsBills; August 20th, 2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old August 20th, 2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Nice fine, Ensign Tzap!
Unfortunately, this is "in store only" sales, no shipping, and no email address to contact them.

There is a voice line, but....anyone else noticed this? Every time I voice call anyone, it's as if they are insane or mentally impaired. Was not like that 20 years ago, it's a new thing. As if they cannot understand logic or English grammar.
Old August 20th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
How do you filter the incoming air on your machine?
While there are ways to add filters, the better solution is to buy a case that already has them built in.

Quote:
Primary issue is cat hair and dust on the keyboard, mouse pad, monitor.
Cat hair and dander is, by far, the worse because it tends to be very oily and when mixed with dust (and God forbid, cigarette smoke), coats all the components inside the case, almost to the point of needing a chisel to remove it.

Quote:
I'm thinking there is some kind of static electricity issue, but I have no clue how to "ground" these to stop it.
Every computer user should assume there is ALWAYS a static electricity issue. That said, static, or ESD (electrostatic discharge) issues it not a problem until you need to do maintenance inside the case. Then the prevention is simple, but requires discipline. BEFORE reaching in, you unplug the computer from the wall then touch bare metal of the case interior. This discharges static build up in your body, putting you and the computer "at the same potential". When there is no "difference in potential", voltage cannot jump or "arc" across.

If you suspect there might be a grounding issue, then you need to check your wall outlets. Note every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK, or this one for German outlets) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Quote:
I did have CoreTemp installed, and will install it again, but I'm not sure what temperature is the border I should set for automatic shut down.
I don't like my CPU temps to sit above 60°C for more than a few seconds. If they start to do that, it is usually a sign I need to clean out my case.
Old August 20th, 2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Wow. Thank you. What method did you use to find the keyboard?
Googled it.
Quote:
Unfortunately, this is "in store only" sales, no shipping, and no email address to contact them.

ARGH!
Well that sucks!
Hiding that fact in the check out!

Well, head out to E-bay.com, and put in to the Search: CYBERPOWERPC Multimedia Gaming Keyboard.

You'll turn up hundreds of used ones that are being sold.

I looked up the spec's on the power supply for your computer.

I found a review website, and it states it is a 800 watt.
But could not get any confirmation, and what is its certification.
I checked the spec's on the Video Card, and the Minimum Power it requires, which is 300watts.
This makes me think the Power Supply is 550 watt or maybe 650 watt.

Now if the Power Supply really is 800 watt.
Then replacing the current set of fans, for better ones won't be a problem.

As for that side panel.....
Leave it on.
Without it on, you are decreasing the air flow in the case.
Think of a wind tunnel, and you open a side of the tunnel.
Instead of the wind flowing from front to back of the tunnel.
It flows out the opening.
PC Cases are like wind tunnels, designed to have the air pushed through the case for cooling.

Old August 25th, 2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Googled it.

ARGH!
Well that sucks!
Hiding that fact in the check out!

Well, head out to E-bay.com, and put in to the Search: CYBERPOWERPC Multimedia Gaming Keyboard.

You'll turn up hundreds of used ones that are being sold.

I looked up the spec's on the power supply for your computer.

I found a review website, and it states it is a 800 watt.
But could not get any confirmation, and what is its certification.
I checked the spec's on the Video Card, and the Minimum Power it requires, which is 300watts.
This makes me think the Power Supply is 550 watt or maybe 650 watt.

Now if the Power Supply really is 800 watt.
Then replacing the current set of fans, for better ones won't be a problem.

As for that side panel.....
Leave it on.
Without it on, you are decreasing the air flow in the case.
Think of a wind tunnel, and you open a side of the tunnel.
Instead of the wind flowing from front to back of the tunnel.
It flows out the opening.
PC Cases are like wind tunnels, designed to have the air pushed through the case for cooling.

Thank you.

Could this work:

1. Remove the three front inlet fans

2. Duct tape on a house filter over the front of the case, where the fans were previously: 24x24x1 Air Filter MERV 8

3. Set up a strong desk fan to blow into the filter

I know it sounds silly, but trying to save a buck. I already have the fan and the filters.
Old August 25th, 2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I know it sounds silly
Yeah, too silly.

Instead, replace the filter in the furnace/AC more frequently. Keep your house vacuumed and doors and windows closed as much as possible. If your computer is sitting on or near the floor, sitting it up high on the desk will help reduce the dust. The downside to having the computer up on your desk may be fan noise in your ear (and I really hate fan noise - but that's for a different discussion). Fan noise will not hurt your computer where dust buildup might.
Old August 25th, 2023, 05:16 PM

Here's a video of a person using a small AC fan on a PC kinda like yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbaADxRrqA

Now, I agree with Digerati that adding the Air Filter is over kill.
And that it would be better to use it in your HVAC system instead, for your home.

Placing the PC on the floor, instead of having it on your desk.
Will allow it to run a bit cooler, but will be susceptible to some dust or hair.
Though, I found that my system works just fine, if I have the case about 6 to 8 inches off from the floor.

I will say that even with a air filter system, or low dust/hair environment.
Your still going to have to dust out your PC once or twice a year.

Old August 25th, 2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Here's a video of a person using a small AC fan on a PC kinda like yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbaADxRrqA

Now, I agree with Digerati that adding the Air Filter is over kill.
And that it would be better to use it in your HVAC system instead, for your home.

Placing the PC on the floor, instead of having it on your desk.
Will allow it to run a bit cooler, but will be susceptible to some dust or hair.
Though, I found that my system works just fine, if I have the case about 6 to 8 inches off from the floor.

I will say that even with a air filter system, or low dust/hair environment.
Your still going to have to dust out your PC once or twice a year.

Thanks. I don't own a home. I live in a tiny apartment, around 320 sq feet. When shopping for a dedicated HEPA fan device, I found the price of replacement filters outrageous. My solution was to get a 20 inch box fan, and 24 inch whole-house style filters. I put the filter against the fan, and run it overnight. So far it does not appear to be picking up any cat hair, which is the main issue in the tiny apartment. I brush the cat daily, and vacuum clean every other day.

That's what I have on hand, those filters.

I did bring the computer up from the floor so that I can dust it regularly, and in fact did so today with the vacuum cleaner. It is now on a table that I use as my computer desk. It has four feet, perhaps 1.5 inches tall, and a vent on the bottom. I think it is near the power source, and in my opinion that 1.5 inch gap isn't enough to vent heat reliably, so I have turned the machine upside down.

Cleaning it out affected something, as it took four manual reboots to get it to send a signal to the monitor again. So, maybe not good. I tested the HDMI cable, it is fine.

I wanted to find out the strength of the power supply, but it is hidden behind a grill that is welded in, and I can't read what is on it. I will send an email to the manufacturer, but since it is out of warranty, I suspect they will refuse to answer. At any rate, I'll run the diagnostic software that was suggested in this thread, and see if I can upgrade the fans.

I can't see any obvious way to unplug the fan lights.

I think I was unclear about grounding. To put the question more simply, how can I remove the presumed static charge that my keyboard, monitor and computer seem to generate? The keyboard is constantly covered in cat hair.

CoreTemp says that Tj Max (whatever that is) is 212 F, and the "cores" (whatever they are) are running high 80s low 90s. I set the cutoff temperature for 140 F.

Last edited by JetsBills; August 25th, 2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old August 25th, 2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
While there are ways to add filters, the better solution is to buy a case that already has them built in.

Cat hair and dander is, by far, the worse because it tends to be very oily and when mixed with dust (and God forbid, cigarette smoke), coats all the components inside the case, almost to the point of needing a chisel to remove it.

Every computer user should assume there is ALWAYS a static electricity issue. That said, static, or ESD (electrostatic discharge) issues it not a problem until you need to do maintenance inside the case. Then the prevention is simple, but requires discipline. BEFORE reaching in, you unplug the computer from the wall then touch bare metal of the case interior. This discharges static build up in your body, putting you and the computer "at the same potential". When there is no "difference in potential", voltage cannot jump or "arc" across.

If you suspect there might be a grounding issue, then you need to check your wall outlets. Note every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK, or this one for German outlets) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

I don't like my CPU temps to sit above 60°C for more than a few seconds. If they start to do that, it is usually a sign I need to clean out my case.
Thank you for your help. I ran the Crucial System Scanner, and it found a LOT of "compatible ram".

Unfortunately, I don't have the faintest clue how to choose among them.

I thought this would be more user-friendly software and less "salesman pushy" style.

Meaning, I was expecting it to perform a comprehensive analysis, sort of like DXdiag, and then to spoon feed me the information, something like this:

"here is your power supply of XX Watts, here is your motherboard of XX capacity, you have one RAM currently installed, and you have three empty ram slots.
Each slot will handle up to XXX RAM. You can install up to XXX GB of total additional RAM, and all of your other current hardware will support it."

Something like that.

They SAY "oh, even if your motherboard specs don't support more RAM, that isn't really true".....hmmm. Sounds fishy to me.

I want more speed on the internet, basically, and I'd like to do it cheaply.
Thing is, I don't know Which things I HAVE to upgrade.

No good maxing out RAM if the CPU, motherboard, fans and power supply can't support them.

Last edited by JetsBills; August 25th, 2023 at 06:56 PM.