Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:10 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation Choosing the right Wireless Card for gaming

I wasnt sure which area to post this in so choose this one! I just have a quick question as I am not very good in the area of networking. I have a SIEMENS Gigaset SE567 DSL and I am searching for the best wireless card for gaming. Currently Im using my laptop to provide internet for my desktop which obviously hasnt been the greatest as far as gaming. All I wish is to find a card under $60 and only have PCI slot for it.

Also some extra details is that I am a level above the router in the house. These are some of the adapters I had in mind but I am unsure what would be best.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWA-556...8610831&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...8610831&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3K929QT0IENFR

Thanks in Advance!
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:25 AM

Just thought I should throw in a few more details that would hopefully generate some responses!

The exact model of the router is the SIEMENS Gigaset SE567 DSL
The service is Bell Aliant
The signal I get from the laptop is usually full bars
I am about 30 feet away
Its a wood floor, kinda a old fashion type house
Yes I know wired is always the best way to go but it would be too difficult to do that with the router located where it is and I can move it unfortunately.
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
The D-Link is PCI-Express so you can forget that one right away.

I have one of these Netgear models and it's pretty good. The external antennae case makes it a bit more flexible when it comes to PC placement compared to cards with the antennae fixed to the back of the PC case.
More reviews at Newegg but it's still $65 there.
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:09 AM

Ahh thanks for the input and that adapter looks good too. I totally missed that D-Link being PCI express. I might have saw one for PCI and mistakenly chose the PCI-Express. If there was a PCI version would you still recommend your adapter over it? Also I noticed that there was a good amount of negative reviews for the adapter would you say faced a challenges installing it or getting to work?
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
1) reading the negative reviews: grain of salt required (e.g. negative because needed a low-profile backplane bracket on the PCI card and others that couldn't install it properly?) read between the lines, that's why I posted the newegg reviews - they are usually more technically competent than Amazon users. I agree though, there are mixed reviews but those competent enough to install were happy with the performance.

2) Win7 installation - installed fine on my Win7 home premium 64bit and on XP home and XP Pro before that.
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Yes bascially the majority of responses where due to the bracket and installing the wrong drivers, though some other reviews had given it poor results and issues with the connection dropping, etc. I know newegg's reviewers are usually more tech savvy and that's what I was reading the most of from too, but I figured that if you didn't run into any real issues then I doubt I will. My current build is actually a windows 7 64 bit.