Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM

Cannot display this video mode

Just when i though i couldnt be any dumber i surpass myself.

My wife wanted her pc display changed as she didnt like the greyness of the screens so i went into the control panel then display then started messing around with the settings.

I changed the computers resolution and the screen has now gone completely black apart from the message " Cannot display this video mode".

I have tried everything i can think of rebooting going through the set ups etc and still when it finally logs into windows i get the same black screen with this message.

How do i get rid of this and get her screen back please.

Giff
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Boot into Safe Mode, reset things to something the monitor can handle, then reboot as usual back into normal mode.

To get into Safe Mode, as the computer begins to boot up, repeatedly press and release the F8 key. That will get you to the boot menu where you can choose Safe Mode.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM

Hi Miz

i tried that already i went into safe mode opened the control panel went to display and then settings. It was automatically stored at 16 bit and the lowest resolution which i think was 600 x 800. It would not let me change anything or apply and when it shut down it said saving your settings however when i reboot it still comes up with this message.

Should i be going some where else to apply these changes ?

Giff
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
In safe mode, right click my computer, choose properties. Click on hardware, then device manager. Click the + next to display adapter. Right click on what it lists there and choose uninstall. Reboot normally. Make sure you have the drivers for the video card, as it may ask for it when it reinstalls the adapter.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM

i seen that before an it either the refresh rate is to high or the resolution is
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM

ill give it a go but i dont have the drivers for the video card whats the worse that can happen i buy a new video card ?
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The drivers should already be on the harddrive. Windows will, hopefully, find and install them when you reboot.

If not, it'll use the default drivers and you can download the correct drivers from the video card manufacturer's website.
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:30 AM

thanks guys its reloaded everything and i can now at least access the pc normally.

The screen res is stuck at the lowest possible 16 bit 600 by 480 and it will not let me change this anywhere i have tried finding a driver for the dell e173fpf monitor but seem to be struggling

i have also tried going into the setting monitors tab to search for monitors or drivers but again it will not let me go into properties.

The good news is that it is working so i am only getting half an ear bashing so thanks for all the help

Giff
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

You need video card drivers, not monitor drivers to allow you to change from 16bit to 32bit. What Dell is this? If you tell me, I can find the web address for your driver and post it here.
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM

hi

its a dell dimension DIM2400 intel r celeron cpu 2.60 ghz 256 mb pc. The display adapter that i uninstalled was an intelr 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv which it seems to have auto re installed.

Is there any thing else you need??

Thanks

Giff
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I found this on Dell site and it doesn't sound promising unless you do a formatt and clean install of XP.. Click on the link below and see what I mean.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...l=en&cs=&s=gen
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM

ok not really too sure what happened but i tried to restore to about 20 different dates yesterday and they all failed.

today agai i tried and before it even got to the log in screen the resolution had sorted itself out. The restore failed again but now the screen seems to be back to normal for now.

thank you to everyone for their help

giff
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

think i found the problem. Some one had tried to tweak one of the programmes on the pc which is poker million and had changed the setting to 256 bit. As soon as i opened up this programme the screen went back to the terrible resolution and as soon as i shut the programme down it then went back to normal.

I have changed the properties in the programme to run as recommeded by windows and all seems well.

Thbak you once again for all your help
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM

i have the same problem..when i go to safe mode and restore the settings...it i will comeback to 640x480...then when i restart it will come back to cannot display this video driver.....what's wrong?...this is an old computer.. its antec..i dont know what model is this....how do i restore the settings?...can anybdy help me pls....
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM

enter in to the last known good configuration mode and try or enter into safe mode and try in the display properties
Closed Topic