Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:18 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hacked or Hijacked?

Hi there!

I just signed up and this is my first post. So please be patient with me as I ask my question since I am partially computer savvy. Wish I was more!

Anyhow, I have a problem that needs to be fixed. I have a laptop with Windows XP, dsl wifi. Runs great except for the following problem........

Oh, by the way, I scan/defrag once a week. run Norton Anti-virus 3 x week, spyware doctor and spybot search and destroy 3 x week, so I don't know what happened.

Here are the only symptons.............I go on the internet through my ISP provider and use their web browser and also have Microsoft IE5.5 on the computer. I rarely use the IE5.5. Anyhow, I'll be on any webpage. At the start button on the task bar, right next to it will be a shrunk blue bar with the name of the web page I'm on written in small white letters. That's normal! However, out of the blue another blank shrunk blue bar with a small blank white square box on it will appear every 15 to 25 minutes, stay for a few moments and disappear. It does this until I turn my computer off.

I tried placing my mouse arrow on the area where it appears to see if I can click on it to open it up and the arrow isn't connecting with it at all.

So, what is going on, what is causing this? Is my computer hijacked, or hacked and someone is doing this? There are no other problems.

Please advise.
Thanks,
Monique
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Welcome to CTH Monique. What browser are you referring to? Lets see what is running on your PC. Go here and download the latest version of Hijack This. Unzip it and click on scan. Most of the files listed will be harmless and/or required so do not make any changes, just click on Save Log, copy it and post it back in this thread.

Also go here and download and run Silent Runners.vbs to your Desktop. It generates a log too. Please post the information back in this thread. If your AV queries the script, allow it to run. It's not malicious.
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:39 PM

Anne Marie. Thanks for responding. Problem. I went to download center, clicked on download. Message appeared saying "publisher could not be verified do you want to proceed". So I proceeded. Downloaded and clicked open. My Norton Anti Virus came up and said: Malicious Script detected. Object: file system object. Activity: create folder. File: C:\Documn...\move_hijackthis [1].vbs. Your computer is halted and needs to do something about this script.

So I closed Norton and copy and pasted to my desk top the file and right clicked to copy so I could post it in here and the paste is greyed out. I cannot paste it here. Tried 3 times, wouldn't work.

So now what? How do I dump this movehujackthis which appears to be infected itself off of my computer?

Please advise.
Thanks
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:14 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

Hi Monique

I think you may have downloaded MOVE HIJACK THIS and not hijack this from the download centre.

Try downloading HIJACK THIS from the download centre (it is the second one down in the list) and try posting the result like AM said.

Cheers

Beanie
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Hi Monique

I think you may have downloaded MOVE HIJACK THIS and not hijack this from the download centre.

Try downloading HIJACK THIS from the download centre (it is the second one down in the list) and try posting the result like AM said.

Cheers

Beanie
Oops, I think you may be right Mr. Bean. I'll check it out later tonight. Thanks for your insight!
Monique