Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
need help desperately, please...getting wininet.dll error msg

ok here's my situation...so im running off of windows xp, a few weeks ago i did a system restore all the way back to may b/c i thought i could find a deleted document that i needed, ok so that worked all went well but couldnt find the document. so i then did another system restore to a later date in june...all of a sudden when restarting i get this error msg: this application has failed to start b/c WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix the problem and i get sometimes urlmon.dll not found and to re-install may fix the problem too. now i have only a wallpaper to stare at, no icons, no start menu, but i know how to use the task manager by ctrl+alt+del but im so lost on what to do. so ive looked everywhere on the web for solutions and fixes i tried to follow everything to the best of my knowledge and nothing is working, ugghhhh. im getting frustrated haha! please, someone willing to help me out, step by step please, would be greatly appreciated! thx!

ps...i have no recovery discs
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:54 AM

When you did your restores, the system files come back but not necessarily your data files and some programs, so anything you might have uninstalled today will have issues when you go back to when it was still active (june?). The easiest way out if you want to stay in june and not come back to where you started, is to figure out what it was that the registry or start up program is looking for and reinstall it, even if you will turn around and uninstall it again.

I'm just guessing here but a little searching of your two dll files leads me to browser, possibly a change from IE 6 or 7 to 8. If your most recent files had IE8 and back in june you had IE7 bingo. Install IE 8 again and see what happens or go back to your original point and forget about the restoring as restoring is for system files and will bring back a registry that may not be exactly right but not your missing or deleted files is not meant for that.

If all else fails, save your data and any browser info (e-mail etc.) you have on C, format out and reinstall. A new install will be fresh and fast, at least at first anyway. I keep all my data and even some programs (games) installed on the D drive so when I format C theres not as much to reinstall. There could be stuff in the "my documents" folder though. or even in the "shared documents" folder.

Last edited by Appzalien; September 21st, 2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:38 AM

hey...so when i did the system restore it was for a word document file which i had deleted and i thought that when i did a system restore it would come back, apparently not. Im not sure, cant remember, if i was running IE 7 at that time back in may/june or if it was IE 8, but if case may be then how do i reinstall that. all i have is a wallpaper, no icons, no start menu. all i can do is access my task manager but from there havent a clue where to go or what to do and if i have to be june and start from there, thats fine. thx
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM

Try going into task manager and open FILE and click on "new task (run.)" and type in explorer.exe and hit ok. If your desktop comes back go to C > Windows > Inf and right click on ie.inf install. It will ask for your XP disk put it in your cd rom. If you can't get the desktop that way then restart the PC and hit the F8 button repeatedly to get into the safemode screen and select safemode only. Go in as admin and use your password, but when the windows pops up that asks if you want safemode or restore, click NO to go to restore and bring your pc back to the day you started all this (not today cause today is a june restore).

I really don't think that installing ie.inf will bring back the desktop, but if you get thru that step restart to see what happens, and if your desktop is still gone restore from safemode.

Last edited by Appzalien; September 21st, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM

hello...ok so i tried going into task manager without being in safemode and typed in explorer.exe in task manager, that wasnt found and the same error msg poped up: explorer.exe-unable to locate componenet: application wininet.dll not found. so i then restarted and pressed F8 to get into safemode screen, selected safemode only, clicked on administrator as to which i had no option to choose from safemode or restore, and it took me straight to the safemode screen where i then opened the task manager, entered explorer.exe to see what would happen and the same error msg: explorer.exe-unable to locate component: application wininet.dll not found.....wow this is frustrating, ive tried everything, now what do i do?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:28 AM

You were in safe mode and I asked you to select no to go to system restore but that option didn't appear for you, so you should have gone there manually from within safemode and restored to just before this happened. My appologies for not being more specific about doing the restore. In Safe mode go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore just like in regular windows, and restore to just before the poop hit the fan.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:35 AM

This is what i get...i restart, press F8 to get to a screen with options for me to choose from, i chose safe mode only, it then goes to a screen where i can choose administrator or myself for a log in, i chose admin...ok so then it takes me to a black screen as to which the same error comes up: explorer.exe unable to locate, wininet.dll not found. "safe mode" is in left and right corners, up and down and at the very top it says this: Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514: service pack)....thats it, thats all, no start menu, no icons, no nothing, just a black screen with whats stated above...but i can still access the task manager but dont think that does any good...........and you were saying something about restore. how can i when i have nothing to chose from???? i am in safe mode, i chose admin, no option for me popped up, just what happened is what i have stated all above.

Last edited by saskygirl; September 22nd, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy and welcome to CTH:

What is the make and model of your computer?

How comfortable are you working in a command prompt screen?

Murray
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM

If you have installed XP from a retail disk you can try to do a non-destructive reinstall which leaves your programs and data intact but will replace all your system files from the disk (including explorer). Basically its the same as an installation where you set to boot from cd first in the bios and put your disk in the drive and start the installation. First it will see you have an OS and offer to repair with the recovery console, skip that and continue as if to do a fresh install. Somewhere around the "press F8 to accept license" it will scan again, find the OS and offer the second repair option, thats the non-destructive one. If you don't see it, F3 your way out cause if you choose to install instead of repair you will lose everything.

If your OEM (Gateway Dell HP or Compac etc.) there is a repair option that shows during boot, and a recovery that may be on a hidden partition of your drive (back to factory default you lose everything). The non-destruct reinstall is only offered from a retail disk that I know of.

look here for a full explanation:
Langa Letter - XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

The only issue is you lose all the critical updates that are not on your disk, for that reason most people use an SP3 with alll the latest criticals integrated so they don't spend the day installing critical updates from the MS site.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM

appzalien: so if i were to go out and buy the windows xp home edition, this will reinstall everything? even if i insert the disc, what if i have no options to choose from? what if it still comes up as a wallpaper or blank screen? is there a way to install from that? i just dont want to spend that money and then for it not to work....
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM

murray...the make and model of my computer is a Gateway 507GR, i bought it in 2004, its just a computer now that my family browses on, but would like to fix the situation at hand. I can give it a go in command prompt but i'll need some instruction on what to do, thx.
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

• Boot up your blank desktop, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete simultaneously, select Task Manager.
  • Goto the Application's tab, select New Task.
  • In the window that open's type: cmd > OK.
  • Change directories by typing: cd c:\ > enter (space after cd).
  • Type: dir > enter. If there's a folder in the list labeled i386, continue.
  • Type: cd i386 > enter. If the file wininet.dl_ is listed exactly as shown, post back.
Murray
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:40 AM

murray....i did everything you said stated above and there is NO folder labled i386
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

Okay.. do you have a flash drive?

If so, download the file from HERE. and put it on the flash drive.

BTW, the easiest fix would probably be to contact Gateway and have them send you an install cd for your system. There may be a small charge but more than worth it.

Murray
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM

k so i unzipped it on my own computer and sent everything to my flashdrive...now how do i get it opened in the computer thats buggered up??? where do i go? what do i do? and when i open the file it pops up caution box and asks "open with" what? ya i guess i could call gateway, but i was told they dont make window XP home edition anymore....

Last edited by saskygirl; September 24th, 2010 at 05:27 AM.