Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM

WiFi Bug

I have an Asus laptop running Vista and my WiFi is bugged, there is a small red "x" in the bottom-right of my Wireless Console indicator which is suppose to be active if my wireless capability is turned off via a switch on my computer (and it says it is turned off when I do diagnose under my wireless connection). When I move the switch from the off to on position, the symbol comes up in the middle of my screen (so it's not the switch) but each time--for off and on-- it just stays on the disabled symbol. I have tried disabling and reanabling my wireless connection, running system restore, and disabling / reinstalling my wireless drivers under device manager but I still have the same problem and can't access any of my wireless networks.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
So just to be clear here...

When you flip the hardware switch on the laptop for your built in wi-fi it just stays disabled and will not enable thus not allowing you to connect to a wireless network? After doing a system restore and reintalling drivers for the device and still no luck it may be a hardware issue. Sometimes with laptops heat can cause issues. Depending on the placement inside the laptop of your wi-fi device heat may have caused it to become broken. Have you tried to disable the onboard wi-fi and use an external device such as a USB wi-fi adapter or the like just to see if it would connect?