Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM

Unhappy I Can't download any files!

I've never had any trouble when downloading files up until now. When I get to the end of downloading a file a message comes up saying "C:\Documents and Settings\Soggy\Desktop\Example.exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.
Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location."

I save things onto the desktop first where there are no folder options to change. I tried changing the location file and get the same message. I have made sure the it is not a read only folder (even set it as read only to test) yet get the same message. Every kind of file comes up with the same message. The only way I can download successfully at the moment is via Torrents.

I have tried multiple browsers (Explorer, Firefox) with the same result. I wanted to try and reinstall firefox but of course can't because I cant download the source file. I have tried just opening and running files with explorer with the same result. Could my registry be damaged?

Suggestions?

Thanks
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Have you run all of your Virus/Malware scans?
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
See, if you can download in Safe Mode with Networking.
Also, for Firefox, try steps from here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...download_files
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM

I have run all anti-malware programs and tried everything on that web site. The fact I can't download on explorer means its not a browser issue. I can't think what it could be. I've restored all folder options to default and still no luck. I think it's all program related files, .zip, .exe etc because I can download the small torrent files needed for utorrent.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Make a folder & name it Hijack.. See if you can download & run this from that folder.. http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM

reinstall the os and use antivirus softwares and scan the system and try