Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Dual OS issue

On a desktop computer I have, I had to install Win 98 SE before I could get Win 2000 to properly install for some reason or another. Unfortunately, the guy who loaded Win 2000 onto my PC for me loaded it onto the same partition as the Windows 98 -- the C drive partition. When I attempted to follow the instructions of another individual I know by going to Add/Remove programs, finding the Win 98 OS listed, and uninstalling that way... The Win 98 was not listed. And so I find myself at a loss of how to get the Win 98 off without having to uninstall Win 2000. I don't have the Win 2000 disk any more, unfortunately, so uninstalling Win 2000 really isn't an option except as a last ditch effort. Please help?

- Trinity -
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:58 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well you will have to uninstall manually, however, with 98 on the same parition as W2K you may have problems as during the install it could of shared some files.

To remove Windows 98, start Windows 2000 and then delete the folder that contains Windows 98 (by default, this is the C:\Windows folder on the local hard disk).

NOTE: If there are any programs installed in Windows 98, you may want to uninstall these programs before deleting the folder.

You also need to manually edit the Boot.ini file to remove Windows 98 from the list of boot options.

To edit the Boot.ini file:

1.In Windows Explorer, click Folder Options on the View menu.

2.On the View tab, click Show All Files, and then click OK.

3.Click the root folder of the local hard disk, right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.

4.Click to clear the Read-Only, Hidden, and System check boxes, and then click OK.

5.Open the Boot.ini file in Notepad.

6.Remove any entries that no longer point to valid installations of Windows.

7.Save the changes to the Boot.ini file, and then restore its attributes. To restore the file's attributes, repeat steps 3 and 4, but click to select the check boxes.
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the assistance, Murf. I think, though, that I've confused myself. I really feel stupid asking this, and this is probably a stupid question for you but... Did you mean delete the C:/WINDOWS file or a file inside C:/WINDOWS? I've gone through looking for the windows 98 in C drive and have not found it yet but I know it's there somewhere... I promise you I'm not usually this stupid... It's been one of those days.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
No question is stupid.

If you have Windows 2K and Windows 98 on the same hard drive and same partition, then One folder will be:

c:\Windows

And the other folder will be

c:\WINNT or it could be C:\windows.000 (if it was installed after Windows 98)

You need to find the Windows 98 folder and that is the one you delete.

Post what Windows Folder you have, the name of the folder will start with Windows, also look for one with NT in it, and post the name of that one.