Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up Firewall

I have windows 7 with Avast anti-virus do I need a firewall.?
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
windows 7 has a firewall so you really don't need another unless you want to use another one.
Old December 30th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Yes you need a firewall. An anti-virus (anti-malware) program is designed to detect and block (hopefully) malicious code from being downloaded and run on your computer.

A firewall is designed to block unauthorized network access to or from your computer.

Two totally different functions.

As Dan noted, Windows 7 has a built in firewall. And a good one too. So you don't need another. But if you want to use a 3rd party firewall, Windows will let you, but you need to ensure the Windows Firewall is disabled so you are not running two at once. Windows should automatically disable Windows Firewall when another is installed, but that needs to be verified.

That said, I recommend sticking with Windows Firewall. It works and you already have it.
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:23 AM

O/S: Windows 8
Hi, I'm newbie here. Could you help me to understand what are the different types of firewalls available? It will be helpful if anyone can give me a website or guides that can explain it very clear and simple. Thank you.
Old January 4th, 2015, 03:29 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by calv0492 View Post
Hi, I'm newbie here. Could you help me to understand what are the different types of firewalls available? It will be helpful if anyone can give me a website or guides that can explain it very clear and simple. Thank you.
This link will probably help you, informative in fairly simple language.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

I hope this Helps!

On the subject "do I need a firewall?" I agree wholeheartedly with Digerati, yes!

If you are using a broadband modem/router you will be firewalled by the hardware which is normally configured very effectively. Personally I don't enable any software firewall since another layer of firewalling reduces internet response time, albeit by milliseconds. (this might start enthusiastic debate!). The choice, of course, is up to the individual.

However, if you are using a public network or are still using a dialup connection, a software firewall is a must!
Old January 4th, 2015, 03:32 PM

Basically two types. First is software based that runs on your computer. Windows Firewall, built into Windows is a perfect example and works great. No need for a 3rd party firewall as they provide no extra advantage in terms of security or system performance.

Then there are hardware based firewalls that are typically found in routers.

EVERY computer should be using a software based firewall - even if their router has a hardware based one.

Beyond that, it is not good forum etiquette to hijack another's thread for your question so if you need more information (and remember, Google is your friend) then you need to start your own thread.
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:11 PM

Digerati, you are quite right to point out the poor etiquette! For my part I apologize to the forum for responding to Calv0492's request, rather than doing the same as you.
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM

Well, I responded too! You just did it while I was still typing so I did not notice until you replied again and I got the email notification.

And BTW, you should enable your software firewall. Note that once the port is opened, a firewall does not introduce any more delays. But more to the point, the problem with relying only on your router's firewall is that typically, a router sees any data coming from the "trusted" side (your local network) as good.

This means if you have multiple computers on your network and a careless or inexperienced user of one of those computers lets malware in, you could have malicious code circulating on your local network unchecked by the router's firewall.

Remember, malware wants to propagate and the first place it tries to replicate itself to is other networked computers.

This can be especially dangerous if a guest comes and connects their infected computer to your network.

So, unless you are a master programmer and advanced security expert, don't risk it - especially for a couple milliseconds the human brain is incapable of detecting.

It is always the user who is the weakest link in security.
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:58 AM

O/S: Windows 8
Sorry about that - I did hijack the thread! Thanks so much for the replies, they're very much appreciated. I'll be sure to start a new thread next time.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaken View Post
This link will probably help you, informative in fairly simple language.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

I hope this Helps!

On the subject "do I need a firewall?" I agree wholeheartedly with Digerati, yes!

If you are using a broadband modem/router you will be firewalled by the hardware which is normally configured very effectively. Personally I don't enable any software firewall since another layer of firewalling reduces internet response time, albeit by milliseconds. (this might start enthusiastic debate!). The choice, of course, is up to the individual.

However, if you are using a public network or are still using a dialup connection, a software firewall is a must!
Wow. You mean my SB5100 cable modem (broadband) also served as a hardware firewall? I didn't know that.. Currently i'm using win7 hm and using the default win firewall. May i know how to check my modem for its firewall?
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Wow. You mean my SB5100 cable modem (broadband) also served as a hardware firewall?
No! That is wrong! And nothing in that article you linked to said or implied that either!

And by you adding your own emphasis (bold text) to my comment, you changed the meaning of my comment! I said, "modem/router".

Your modem is not a firewall and does not serve as a firewall. No modem does!

A "router", on the other hand, may include some firewall features. But every computer on the network must still have a software based firewall enabled locally.

A "modem/router" is an integrated device and the router side likely includes some firewall functions. NOT the modem side.

Your Motorola SB5100 is a discrete, modem-only device and does NOT include or provide any firewall features or protections.
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
No! That is wrong! And nothing in that article you linked to said or implied that either!

And by you adding your own emphasis (bold text) to my comment, you changed the meaning of my comment! I said, "modem/router".

Your modem is not a firewall and does not serve as a firewall. No modem does!

A "router", on the other hand, may include some firewall features. But every computer on the network must still have a software based firewall enabled locally.

A "modem/router" is an integrated device and the router side likely includes some firewall functions. NOT the modem side.

Your Motorola SB5100 is a discrete, modem-only device and does NOT include or provide any firewall features or protections.
Chill bro, i interpreted "/" as either or. Just thought there's some aditional functions to my modem that i'm not aware of. My apology to you.
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Sorry - I have recently run into several cases where I was misquoted and/or my comments taken out of context, then the persons claimed I said something I didn't - so your post hit a nerve. No harm done.

But for sure, if you don't have a router between your computer and your modem, I recommend you get one. Even a basic model will add a very significant layer of security with NAT and for just a few $ more you can get one with SPI which will add another layer with true firewall features.

See here for expantion of terms.