Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:34 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
ICYBER Problems installing Windows

Thought I would try to format an ssd disk that I want to load up with Windows 7 ,tried once and it wouldn't allow this to be done.C Drive is shown as Basic Online Disk 1, B Drive is shown as New Volume Disk 0, on opening, it is shown to be empty yet when I try to format it, I see This is is the active partition on this disk, all data will be lost.This is all shown in Disk Management.Under properties B New Volume is not empty as it has 90.6 mb shown as used.
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
lcyber

On Jan 16th you indicated, in one of your other threads;

the dvd was changed and finally got the installation working, it was a long long journey

Now your saying you cannot get Windows installed. In another thread you had a memory problem. You have too many threads going on the same computer, people will stop trying to help you as we really don't understand exactly what you problem is. Please keep everything in one thread if you want to continue to get help.

So you got this computer on EBAY a while back, you decided to install a SSD hard drive which apparently you did and got Windows installed???

You changed some memory???
You changed the DVD drive???

Now your trying to load Windows 7 after re-formatting the SSD..

Questions?

1. The copy of Windows 7 you are trying to install, is this a Legal Retail or a copy you got somewhere else???

2. Can you boot and get into your BIOS setup???

3. Did you download and get the software from Corsair as previously suggested:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads

4. Confused; Did you install a new DVD drive?

5. Is the memory you bought still in the machine?

6. Has this computer since you started with the SSD ever booted up?

I am closing the other threads so we can keep everything in one, please do not start anymore threads. Closed means they can be viewed only. Also re-named this one giving you your own little column here at CTH.
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Murf I will explain : A memory stick failed and was substituted ,this was the cause of repeated beeping.
I didn't change the drive
This is a legal copy ,I was slow in supplying the Product no. that was called for,this resulted in a blue screen as I missed the short deadline.Having a blue screen, there was nowhere for me to enter the Product number which was called for some weeks after a successful instalation.
I can boot and get into the Bios setup
I downloaded the Corsair link which sent me to a firmware update which failed
I did not instal a new DVD drive
The memory is still in the machine(only one of the two memory sticks was changed)
The computer did initially startup with this SSD but not since I formatted the disk in order to reinstal and give the Product number
I am unable Now, to boot up with the SSD and dvd only, connected I get the BootMngr missing(this does not happen when I connect my original harddrive.
The reason I started a separate thread was for the benefit of other posters who may have one of my problems but not necessarily all of them,which would entail them in reading my whole threads.I have often seen single issues other posters have and read the way they got them solved ,the rest of their problem may not have been one I would have had ,that single issue alone got me to read the post not their entire thread.
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:05 PM

to enter the Product number which was called for some weeks after a successful installation.

So you actually got it installed and working?

connected I get the BootMngr missing which means either a busted install, you get this error booting up from the Windows DVD to install it?

Naturally it will boot from the original hard drive as it has a proper operating system installed on it.

Have you tried inserting the Windows DVD and booting up, if so it should find your SSD drive where you can reinstall Windows.

If you don't enter the Product Key when it asks you, it should install anyways. Then once installed you have to activate it by typing in Windows search box Activate then click on Activate Windows icon then you enter your Product Key.
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:05 AM

Yes I got it installed and working for some weeks ,until I got the blue screen which prevented me from seeing anything at all ,so I thought if I formatted the ssd drive and reinstalled it that would solve the problem,I could then enter the Product Code.
I get the BootMgr missing when I use the Windows install dvd(The dvd Windows instal works fine when I connect the original drive to check it)
"Naturally it will boot from the original hard drive as it has a proper operating system installed on it." not sure what you mean by this ,as in the ssd, that is blank?I had al ready formatted it which I imagine removed the operating system .I have tried inserting Windows DVD and booting up,it is then,that I get the Boot Mngr Missing message just after" insert dvd and press any key"It would seem that the dvd player would be impeded somehow not having an operating system to control it,or am I confused about this.There would not be an operating system that was installed for it to work.I can't connect the original drive and the ssd and the dvd player can I ,that is the only way it would work.In one of your replies I remember you said I should enter the dvd before closing down and removing the old original hard drive,this would leave just the ssd and a dvd that was not controlled by an operating system
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:27 AM

Go back into your BIOS Setup and restore it to Defaults, then save and exit, now try booting from the Windows DVD.
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:07 AM

Where would this be in Bios,alll I can find in relation to Defaults is F6 Fail Safe Defaults,is this what you mean,this is at the bottom of the screen not in Bios.When I do this action I then boot up with the Windows dvd
with just the blank ssd and the dvd player only installed?

Last edited by lcyber; March 6th, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Go back into your BIOS Setup and restore it to Defaults, then save and exit, now try booting from the Windows DVD.
Tried this again ,no result.Am I barking up the wrong tree when I say that the DVD drive does Not have an operating system for it to work?It can,t have ,as the only drive connected ,is the empty ssd.Please explain this mystery.
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:27 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcyber View Post
Tried this again ,no result.Am I barking up the wrong tree when I say that the DVD drive does Not have an operating system for it to work?It can,t have ,as the only drive connected ,is the empty ssd.Please explain this mystery.
The DVD that Murf is trying to tell you to boot from is the Windows DVD.
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Yes I do realise that ,what made you think otherwise.I am trying to boot up with the windows instalation disk together with a blank ssd drive .I read in a previous reply that a dvd player Needs an operating system to work,well a blank ssd disc doesn't have one ,that is my point
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:08 PM

1. Boot then hit F6
2. Put the Windows Installation DVD in
3. Shut down
4. Boot up again
5. The computer it should come up and say Press any Key to boot from CD. Does It?

Its not the DVD player it is the DVD disc you insert into the DVD player must have a operating system on the DVD disc itself to boot.
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Yes I do realise that ,what made you think otherwise.I am trying to boot up with the windows instalation disk together with a blank ssd drive .I read in a previous reply that a dvd player Needs an operating system to work,well a blank ssd disc doesn't have one ,that is my point
The operating system is on the Windows DVD.
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:38 PM

I booted up hit F6 but no response from keyboard at all,tried this again after hitting Del to. get to BIOS and only see F9 and F12 are lit up at the bottom of the screen didn't,t get any prompt to go any further than that .Tried this a few times
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I booted up hit F6 but no response from keyboard at all,tried this again after hitting Del to. get to BIOS and only see F9 and F12 are lit up at the bottom of the screen didn't,t get any prompt to go any further than that .Tried this a few times
Try hitting any letter on the keyboard instead of F6.
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Tried this after getting no response from F6key ,put in DVD shut down,rebooted restart showed press any key which I did but this brought up,BootMgr missing