Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Startup problem/no picture

Hi everyone this is my first post.

I've just built a computer for a friend and i've run into a problem. The computer seems to start up (Noise from HD and seems to read from D drive) but the monitor stays in stand by mode. The specs are as follows:

350W PSU
Asus K8V-MX motherboard
Sempron 2800+ socket 754
512MB ram
DVD re writer

Could it be that 350W isnt enough or the inbuilt VGA is crap? Or something else?

Like I said it seems to start up, I get all the right sort of sounds, green lights on motherboard etc etc and I know the monitor is OK because its mine and i was switching between the computers.
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:59 AM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
As you built it, did you continously check it at every stage of the build.
Does it POST? If not, go back to barebones: PSU, mobo/processor, graphics card if applicable (on-board?), monitor (which you know already works), and a keyboard. This should get a POST and info to the screen. If not, something to do with video most possible.
You don't have to pull everything out. Just the cards and unhook cables and supply lines from all sources except mobo, of course.
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

sorry what is POST?

how do u mean checked everything while building it? If u mean checked everything is seated properly yes i did.

Its an onboard video. Gonna check the power supply and prob try putting in an agp card to check and rule out those.
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

Is POST when it boots up?

When i switch it on i get the normal grind of the HD and the D drive tries to read the disk etc but no data comes up on the screen. The monitor stays in stand by mode
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Banned

It isn't psu wattage...it should still post and 350 is probably sufficient for that unit. It could be incopmpatible ram, or bad motherboard...sounds simple enough it should boot. Could also be improperly installed cpu and heat synch.
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

Do you really think it could be processor if it sounds like it is booting up? I can also hear the dvd drive trying to read the xp disk. Im gonna strip it down today and try some spare parts.
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Grana
As you built it, did you continously check it at every stage of the build.
Does it POST? If not, go back to barebones: PSU, mobo/processor, graphics card if applicable (on-board?), monitor (which you know already works), and a keyboard. This should get a POST and info to the screen. If not, something to do with video most possible.
You don't have to pull everything out. Just the cards and unhook cables and supply lines from all sources except mobo, of course.
OK i done all that and it still does exactly the same thing. I also tried putting in an agp graphics card. So i've pretty much ruled out the video. So that leaves mb, ram, proc, or psu. I'll try the Ram next then the psu, unless anyone has any ideas.
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

SORTED!!!

It was the RAM. It was broken. A few months ago we put together his computer and it wouldn't work. The processor and motherboard were sent back and confirmed to be faulty so he got a replacement. Looks as though the original motherboard might of killed his processor and RAM. Looking back on it he should of sent back the RAM too but we never bothered to check it.
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

Glad you got it!!!