Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Modem/Phone Line/Com Port/SOMETHING!

Sorry if this isn't the place for this, but I'm at a loss here.

Take note, I have completely reformatted the hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop and reinstalled everything that needs to be. I did this thinking it might fix my problem, but it's still there, and I can only assume it is a hardware issue.

My modem, as far as I can tell is working properly. My computer says so, I ran diagnostics on it, etc. My phone line that I am trying to use to connect to the internet is working properly. I plugged it into a phone, the phone worked.

Yet, still, when I try to connect to NetZero, I immediately get an error saying that no dial tone was found. And it's not NetZero's problem, because none of the other programs that use the phone line can find a dial tone either.

Everything is plugged in properly, the only thing I can think is that something may be wrong with the COM port? I've been working on this for days, somebody give me some advice. Thank you in advance.

Head spinning,
JLowery87
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi

Is there a specific error message you are getting???

Cheers

Beanie

Last edited by Mr Bean; September 6th, 2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM

I think it's 680. Could not find dial tone.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi

If you have call waiting have you disabled it???

Also try putting a few commas in front of the number. This sometimes confuses the system to think there is no dial tone.

Also triple check you have got your wires in the correct sockets and also if you are using any adapters then check those as well.

Let us know.

Cheers

Beanie
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Yeah, have done all of that.

It truly isn't finding a dial tone, and it isn't even that it takes a second to hear it. It's like the port is acting like the phone line isn't there at all. I can't imagine what else it could be except a problem with the port, though I've never heard of a problem like that.