Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Network card not recognized

OS Windows 98SE
Processor AMD 1600+
Router D-Link DI-604

I have two computers hooked up to the router. When added, all I had to do was restart the computer and it was automatically recognized and I was able to use the dsl connection to the router.

On this machine, when I start it up, I can see the lites on the router show that the machine is connected. However, I cannot access the internet. In the device properties it shows that I have the pc network card and that the drivers are installed. When I check the internet connections there is tcp/ip for dialer, but not for the dsl connection.

How can I correct this?

If it is a problem with hardware, can I purchase a new nic and install it to cure the problem? If I do this, should the old one be removed?

Thanks all.
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:41 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The problem might not be the nic. Do you have TCP/IP protocol installed for the network card. If not go to Network in control panel, then click your network card then add, Microsoft, then you should see TCP/IP. Add it.
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Adding TCP/IP

Thanks for the reply. That is where my problem lies. When I bring up network in the control panel, the network card is not listed. However, when I go into My Computer properties, devices, it shows and shows that drivers are installed.
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:16 PM

By any chance is this the Belkin F5D5000? I had terrible problems installing it on my computers running Windows 98. Sometimes there is a Belkin conponet you can install where I told you to install the TCP/IP protocol. Look for it there where the Microsoft is.

Last edited by AJacewonder; July 8th, 2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:20 PM

I finally got it, hang in there.