Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 2nd, 2002, 01:06 AM

Static discharge

I know that static is bad but... I have/had a computer. A pentium based PC. I had an electronic/static air cleaner plugged in the same time I was running my computer. I had the computer plugged into a surge protector. So, the air cleaner snapped a couple of times and my computer shut down and it won't start back up again. Long story short, I get some bios beeps and it appears to be the video card that needs replacing. My question is could this just be a bios that needs to be "flashed" and if so how do I do that. I was here a couple weeks ago and got some advice that I should replace my video card. If that is the case how can I tell which is the video card and how do I go about replacing it? The computer won't boot it just gets to the beeping stage. I don't know a whole lot about these things so don't leave anything to chance if you have an idea or a direction to point me in, unless it is to the computer hold up shop. I thank you in advance for any help with my woes. Thank You, wm.
Old March 2nd, 2002, 03:44 AM

the video card would be where you plug your monitor to.some computers come with the vga(video card)onboard.meaning directly attached to the motherboard.my advice to you is to go to your nearest pc store and pick up a 8mb graphics card for around 20$.if your vga is attached directly to your motherboard you will have to disable it in bios.most pc's enter bios before boot up by pressing delete.the installation of your new card should be simple.i hope this helps.
Old March 4th, 2002, 05:04 PM

I assume that air cleaner was the air-ionizing type. Not good. Never run one of those anywhere near a computer. If the air is ionized enough, you can get arcing inside the system. Follow anaconda's suggestion and check out the vid. Hopefully that's all that's been zapped. And turn off that air cleaner.