Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:14 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Permissions Problems

This is a bit of an ongoing problem with permissions. I suspect it is at the root of more troubles - one of which was just documented in another topic with my Corel install. I am opening a new topic - I hope someone can help!

Permissions all over my computer are jacked up. I just installed Google Earth - and it installed completely - even thanking me for installing it.

However when trying to open it by double-clicking the shortcut - it returns the following message:

"The item referred to by this shortcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions."

If I try to access its Program folder - it returns this message:

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click 'continue' to permanently get access to this folder."

However no matter what I tell it inside the folder security properties - when I try to OK it or "apply" the changes - it wont let me... just keeps telling me I don't have the authority.

I don't get it - I am the only user of this computer. I have seen this in the past - where random folders on my computer will suddenly get the padlock icon on them - but up until now I have been able to go in and re-set permissions.

I cannot restore - this has been happening on a random basis for a long time. I could not confidently predict the results of a restore to a date a long time ago.

I have updated Windows fully - I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a 64bit machine.

It is the randomness of this issue that really gets me... I have installed some features and other programs.. I cant predict the failures... b ut not being able to adjust permissions is a first....today.

Please help?!
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
It might be, for some reason, you do not have ownership.

Try this 1st:

Open up "My Computer" then right click on your "C" drive and go to "Properties"

Click on "Security TAB" then "Advance Button"

Under "Permissions Tab" it should show something like;

Administrators (.....) Full control
System
Users (........PC\Users)

Are you listed as the Administrator with FULL CONTROL? And it applies to everything?

If not then click on the "Owner Tab" and click on Edit

Select yourself as Administrator and Check the "Replace owner on sub containers and objects box and hit Apply.

If none of this helps or needs changed then try this say for Google.

Run an elevated command prompt;

Start | All Programs | Accessories, right click Command Prompt and then click "Run as Administrator"

Type the following command and press <enter>

TAKEOWN /F <filename> (replace filename with the full path of the actual file) i.e., C:/Program Files/Google

If the operation was successful, you should see "Success: The file (or folder): blah blah blah

If this works then try using a built in file:

ICACLS <filename>/grant administrators:F