Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Installing an Internal WiFi card on an External card-based laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. It isn't the best on the market but as long as I can type last-minute papers for classes it's fine with me. The laptop requires an external card, one you stick in a slot to the side. Most laptops nowadays have internal cards built into them. I was wondering if there was any way to mod my laptop to make the wifi reciever/card internal. It's been long past warranty expiration so I have no problems there. Can it be done? And if so, how?
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Yep.. buy a new motherboard, XP install cd (the one you have is OEM so using it a system would be illegal), learn how to take a laptop apart and modify the case to accept the new port, etc, etc.

Would be cheaper to buy a wifi ready laptop.

Murray