Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Memory problem, I think? (Moved from Vista Forum)

I post detail at Software **SPAM REMOVED** Group
So today I went into STAPLES to see how much RAM could be put in my computer. It turned out that I had no extra slots but I had 2 X 1GB DDR2 RAM Cards. So, he took out oneof the 1GB Cards and put in a different brand 2GB Card. It only took about 30 seconds, he turned my computer back on and got me to put in my password and then went to make sure that my computer was reading the memory properly. So, it was. We payed for it and left to come home. I got home and turned it out, woah, I could feel the power gain especially in gaming! The one problem though was that the gaming was having errors, weird colored lines and stuff were flashing throughout the game randomly when I moved my charecter so I thought maybe I need to update my graphics card? Anyways, the game shut down and brought me to a blue screen saying something about Memory Management, couldn't read the rest because it shut down right after 15 seconds of the blue screen.

I then attempted to re-boot in various modes, various times. I tried it in Safe Mode, it helped a little but a few minutes later the same blue screen and all happened, it happened every time I started it up. Although when I did get it up, to the desktop it displayed two or three errors, one regarding ATI Catylst Control Centre, another regarding that windows has recovered from a serious error but I didn't have enough time to get the information it displayed and somethig else but I couldn't see it, strange huh?

Well, right now, I took out the power cord, the battery and I'm leaving it off for a while. It's strange it randomly did this, I'm wondering what the issue could be? Can I fix it on my own? Do I need to re-format, re-install and download/install updates and VISTA SP1 to fix this issue?

All you're help is greatly appreciated as usual. If it helps any my notebook has four lights, plug, power, battery and another one which I'm assuming is the CPU? Well, usually that last one doesn't flash but all the sudden it's steadly on... Maybe the computers not reading my memory? I do know for the 10-20 seconds I had the TASK MANAGER open it displayed nearly 99% CPU Usage during start up and I was using only 0.98GB's of RAM during start up at the desktop as all the applications loaded.

I have the re-install/re-format discs locked and loaded if it's needed, alhough I'm not sure that the computer would stay on long enough.

Please help me!!