Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Cool Windows XP & Ubuntu will not Load

My brother gave me his PC too look at because his Windows XP wasn't loading.

When you turn it on, it sends you to the screen, where you can choose to start from the last known good configuration or safe mood etc...

None of the options (including safe mode) work. It just restarts and goes back to the same menu.

I then tried running Ubuntu from the CD. It appears to be loading, then as soon as the loading bar stops, it comes up with a list of never-ending errors.

I can't put his hard drive into my computer because I do not have the correct cable.

I noted down a little:

HDCC error 0x70 (I think that's the high definition cable)

Buffer I/0 device

That's all I caught.

My Dad's coming round to pick up my brother's computer in a few hours because he thinks it can be solved by recovering XP, which I really doubt, but I can't argue with him

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any hardware which may be causing this for both Live Ubuntu AND XP?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:24 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Is the HDD making any noises? I think the HDD itself may be bad.

You can try recovery console on the XP CD and run chkdsk /r to find and repair bad sectors.

Also you can go to the manufacturer of the HDD's website and look in downloads for a HDD diagnostic tool which will tell you if the drive is physically good or bad.