Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:42 AM

how do you make a flash drive register as the same drive in every computer

okay i might be able to figure this out but if you guys could tell me everytime you put this flash drive into another computer it changes the drive name so then the files wont work unless you copy it to the computer your working on the program that is being saved on it is microsoft access the files are kept on it but the flash drive is looking for the drives name from the home computer not from another computer any ideas would be great before friday
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

You can't make a flash drive be the same drive in every computer because every computer has different drives setup. Like, if one computer has one harddrive, and one optical (cd/dvd) drive, the flash drive will show as the next letter available. Then you have another computer that has two of each type drive or one harddrive and two opticals, each time you insert the flash drive it will take the next available letter.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:57 AM

then what do you do

okay then why do the files look for the name of the drive they were put in?? flash drive could be broken im looking at it tomorrow
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:24 AM

hey photolady how did you learn so much about computers i mean how many years of college did it take or do you just know it cause your super smart when it comes to computers
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

It's possible you flash drive is broken but usually when that happens you can't use it.

No college for computers except a minor in computer science and a BA in Journalism. But my computer smarts came from reading and asking questions, and then applying the knowledge from the reading.
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Actually Photolady, you can change the drive letter of your flash drive. I have this drive myself:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...2GB_Black.aspx

And have changed the drive to X to test this question, I have plugged it in two different computers and it reads as drive X. I had to use disk management to modify the drive letter, but it did acknowledge that my flash drive is drive X. So princezuda go into your disk management and give that a try and see if it works for you, it "should" work.

Last edited by Ikon; June 29th, 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, conceding that one can change the drive letter, but my initial thought was doing this per machine, not per drive.
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM

per machine

it is per machine so i will look into both of your advice and post later