Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Unhappy Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer jumping all over the place...

Hello, I really hope one of you can help...

My desktop PC has suddenly developed a niggling little problem that means it is all but useless now. When opening most programs, IE, Windows Explorer and Opera the screen gets caught in a juddering motion that seems to act like the software is switching between Restore, Full Screen and Maximize functions, at the rate of about 6 switches a second. As you can probably imagine, this means the computer is more or less useless, and it's getting very frustrating. I've called the shop where we bought it, and got the usual "It's not our problem, try system restore, or restore factory settings". Tried system restore about 3 days ago, and no matter where I try to restore to it's having none of it, and then I got stop in a lovely "Packard Bell recovery program (which includes the system restore program)" loop, that stops actually being able to boot into Windows as it goes on a restarting loop, again, and again and again, until all of a sudden it'll boot. For this reason, System Restore is now switched off so I can continue getting into Windows. Programs not affected are Media Player, Photoshop, Outlook and RealPlayer plus others.

I assume this is a software issue, but I would really like to be able to sort this without having to wipe the whole computer.... Please can anybody help!
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:53 PM

reset IE in internet options control panel,scan it to death for spyware in safe mode,check out cybersafety
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Cheers, already done a full Norton scan, nothing at all came up...

It's a bit difficult to get to any buttons to reset the options, as the toolbar keeps moving! I shall try and grab it, but I'm not holding out too much hope of succeeding...
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM

ctrl alt del ,file new task type in control panel as you see it here should do it
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:38 PM

maybe try ad-aware or similar ,norton talketh heehaw
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM

I have actually thought that about Norton, but for some reason I always seem to go to them.... Sure the Systemworks damage systems more than fix them.

I'll try the control alt del thingy though, although control panel will also be jumping about like a madman as it's in explorer, hopefully I might be able to get a hand on it!
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Thought I would just post a quick update, just in case anyone else ever has this problem. Turns out that it was a faulty keyboard, something that I would never have thought of... It's a wireless one, so the batteries were going flat and it was causing the bizarre occurence as noted above!

If this helps just one person from me posting this it will be worth it!

Old April 15th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

thanks for the update