Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi mallen, did you follow the procedure shown here? If so, sometimes you may have to wait for a minute or so for the ActiveX window to appear.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM

I have followed these directions and get a dialogue box that says "to display the webpage again exporer needs to resend the info you previously submitted. If you wrere making a purchase you should click cancel, otherwise click retry to display the page again".

I click retry and get an activescan page that says "error on downloading active scan".

It just seems to me that IE is not allowing me to install the activeX for either this or bitD. I did try again to run BitD and got an activeX error meassage.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok. I'll look at this later.

Well interestingly enough, I worked on a computer yesterday and ATF stopped responding when I cleaned out the temp files. I found out why though, it choked trying to delete more than 100MB's of files.

Try running ATF Cleaner again but this time, check one option at a time and click on "Empty Selected". Then click on the next option and "Empty Selected" again.

Let me know if this makes any difference.
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I actually had done each one individually and it soes work for most but does still hang the PC on 2 entries, temp files all users and another one. But this still makes no difference in the PC performance. Thanks
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM

I just ran the ATF Cleaner one at a time and it worked for all selections.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

That's good.

Regarding the ActiveX issue, try resetting IE7 settings. See here.

Note the below warning though:

Quote:
CAUTION: After using these steps you may have to re-enter information in trusted Web pages, such as passwords or personal information.
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Well, I reset IE7 settings, it made no difference. I uninstalled IE7 and reverted to IE6, no difference. I only did that because I asked these guys when this issue started and they said maybe 6 mos. ago. I asked if they recalled changing anything on the PC at that time but they could not recall. The only thing that I know has changed is the update to IE7 as well as the installation of a wireless router. I was wondering if perhaps the router is preventing me from having the activeX run? At any rate, I was thinking about going back to a restore point before the router was installed, but I am not sure this is a good idea. I also wanted to reiterate that this is not just an access to the web issue, as a matter of fact once connected the web runs fairly quick. It is an issue with the timeframe to get to the web as well as do anything on the PC when not accessing the web. For example, when I go to shut down the PC it sits for about 2 min. before actually shutting down. If I go to open a word doc. it takes way too long for word to open, almost as if too many things were running in the backround. Thanks
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

Geez mallen, a 6 month old problem is very difficult to troubleshoot. Anything could have happened in that time. They may have installed one of the beta versions of IE7 and broken something (it happened and the only option was a repair or reformat).

Personally, I would be advising them to backup and do a clean install of XP. If you want to persist with this, you could try clean boot troubleshooting to see if you can isolate the problem. See here for more information but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Whatever the cause is, there is no evidence that it is malware related so I cannot help you any further in this thread.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for all your help AnnMarie. I will try the clean boot, will not hold my breath. If it does not improve we will format the drive and start over. Thanks again for your help.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome morabors. Good luck.
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM

AnnMarie,
Just wanted to get back to you about this issue. I feel like a moron but what the heck. I should have thought about it first but I didn't. Turned out to be a lack of memeory. I installed a new stick and they were back to normal. Again, thanks for your help.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi morabors. Thank you very much for the update and I'm glad that all is well now.