Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM

Pci.sys missing or corrupt...(I've tried everything)

This is not a new problem but none of the internet remedys have worked for me yet.

I'm getting the System32\drivers\pci.sys missing or corrupt message when trying to boot XP.
Now, I've tried going to my recovery console and tryed "expand drive:\i386\pci.sy_ C:\winnt\system32\drivers /y" all I get is access denied. So then I re-booted from my XP disk and pressed enter to install windows xp. Now supposedly I sould get a repair "r" option, but I don't. It tells me I need to format to install. I guess when you recived that "r" option it will bring you the option of typing the admin passsword so I won't get the access denied message when I'm expanding.

The bottom line is that there is one REALLY important folder I need of my C: drive and really don't care about anything else. If anyone could help me that would really keep me from jumping off a bridge.

Thanks!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:38 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyStalin View Post
This is not a new problem but none of the internet remedys have worked for me yet.

I'm getting the System32\drivers\pci.sys missing or corrupt message when trying to boot XP.
Now, I've tried going to my recovery console and tryed "expand drive:\i386\pci.sy_ C:\winnt\system32\drivers /y" all I get is access denied. So then I re-booted from my XP disk and pressed enter to install windows xp. Now supposedly I sould get a repair "r" option, but I don't. It tells me I need to format to install. I guess when you recived that "r" option it will bring you the option of typing the admin passsword so I won't get the access denied message when I'm expanding.

The bottom line is that there is one REALLY important folder I need of my C: drive and really don't care about anything else. If anyone could help me that would really keep me from jumping off a bridge.

Thanks!
Hi joey
Try this to correct windows files,START / RUN / Type CMD and ok / in the black command window type SFC/Scannow and hit enter.You will need your Win XP system disk put it in your drive when asked and click re try
Good look
Rex
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:01 AM

thanks but the problem is that i cant boot to windows xp at all
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Do you have your XP disc? Good. Change the boot order in your BIOS and boot from the CDROM. Get into the Recovery Console, it's easy just follow the prompts. Type the command that he just gave you and wait until it finishes.

REgards,

Brandon
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Diggs View Post
. Get into the Recovery Console, it's easy just follow the prompts. Type the command that he just gave you and wait until it finishes.
Howdy:

Unfortunately, scannow is NOT a command available from the Recovery Console.

Joey:

If your system is a desktop style system, consider slaving your drive to another system and pulling the file you need from your drive to the other drive you are slaved to.

Once you have done that, a complete re-install would be possible without losing the file you need to keep.

Murray
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM

Hey Thanks. So by slaving, you me pull it out an put it into another desktop?? Do you think it would be possible to do a new installation on windows on my external hard drive, then access my C: drive from there??

Thanks again!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Sure that would be possible.. I wouldn't activate it though as all you want to do is move that one file over and then re-install XP on your c: drive.

Just make sure your BIOS allows for booting from an external drive.

Murray
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks Murray! I will try it and let you know!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good luck.

If all else fails, slave the drive to a different system altogether if you can.

Murray
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM

So I tryed to intall it on my external and it told me that "the computers startup program cannot gain acces to disk" Is this something i can deal with in my BIOS??
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

Unless there is an option to boot from your external drive or USB device, there is nothing else in BIOS that can help you.

Murray
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM

Ok, so it looks like I'm going to slave the drive to another computer but first I have a copule questions so I don't mess anything up.

1. Can I plug my hard drive into pretty much any other desktop??

2. If I do this will it read on the boot and load of windows?

3. What if I take out my hard disk out of my exteral drive and plug in my C: drive, then plug it in USB into another computer?? Would that work?

Thanks Murray!

Last edited by JoeyStalin; February 23rd, 2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

Any desktop running XP will be able to take it as long as it has a power connecter and empty IDE connector. Just make sure you jumper your drive as slave.

No, you won't be able to boot to your drive. It should show as a new hdd in the Control Panel of the system you installed it in.

#3: It might. No harm in trying.

Murray
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM

OK, so I put that drive into my external box and plugged in into my friends computer, it was making strange noises and plus was reading that the disk was empty I didn't format or anything. Is there anyway of recovering these files, should I bring the drive to a professional? I'm nervous to bring it to just anyone.

this is not good....

Thanks again!

btw, I'm going to plug my drive that was in my external box into my PC so i can install windows and atleast get the thing running again. Should I worry about my files on that being erased? can I install windows without losing my files?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Odds are, you will lose everything on that hdd as XP will format the entire drive. NOT a good idea.

Rather than use the enclosure on your friends system, install the hdd as a slave in it. That just may work for you.

Also, if you know the make of the hdd, you can go to the manufacturers website and download a diagnostic program. Run that and see what it has to say about the hdd.

Murray