Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM

My computer takes a long time to load

Hi,

My laptop is about 2 months old and it was running fine for a while, but it's started taking a while to start-up and load programs. It takes about 4-5 minutes for my computer to load everything and be ready to go after i've turned it on, which seems like a very long time and a lot longer than it took when i bought it. It's definitely not a malware issue, i've scanned for everything and it's come up clean.

It's confusing as I haven't added any big programs that would considerably slow it down, does anyone know what else could cause it?

Thanks,
SJC
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
How much RAM have you got? How much hard disk space is left? Find out whats running at startup, click start, run and type in msconfig. Next click the startup tab. Most are self explanatory but any you dont know you can google, find out what they do and whether they are necessary at startup
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM

0.99 GB of RAM and 44.1GB space left on the C Drive. This is why it seems strange to me that it takes a while to load up, especially as there is no virus/trojan horse/adware etc
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I've Googled the processes running on my startup but i'm still unsure, i'll post them here for an experts view! They are:

igfxtray
hkcmd
igfxpers
jusched
stsystra
DMXLauncher
SynTPEnh
WLTRAY
isuspm
issch
RealPlay
qttask
mcmnhdlr
oasclnt
mcagent
mcupdate
MSKdetct
DLACTRLW
MskAgent
mcvsshld
GoogleToolbarNotifier
MsnMsgr
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Digital Line Detect

There is also another one which is blank, it doesn't seem to have a name or command but its location is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Did you have a look in msconfig?
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffkelly View Post
Did you have a look in msconfig?
Yep, i posted it above
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM

i wonder if the adobe reader would make much of a difference, because i know when you launch it when opening a file it takes a while compared to most applications, i'd try disabling it just to cancel it out because you can always re-enable it if it doesnt make any difference
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM

ok i'll try disabling it. Do you have any idea what the blank one is? It has no name or command which is odd...
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Also hit ctrl alt delete and select task manager when this is happening. hit the column that says cpu and note the process that takes up the most of your cpu.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM

actually i just had a look at my own settings and realise that i have 2 blank ones and also the adobe speed launch entry (never noticed them before) try the task manager
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

O/S: Windows XP Home
you can try cccleaner from here...
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) is a system optimization tool. It removes unused and temporary files from your system, allowing it to run faster and more efficiently, and giving you more hard-disk space. The application cleans traces left by Windows, Internet Explorer, and third-party applications (including Firefox).
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM

i ran CCleaner, it seemed to clean up a lot of rubbish on my computer which is good, i restarted and it didn't seem to speed that up too much though!
I ran Windows Task Manager:

System Idle Process says between 95 and 99 in the CPU column, but it fluctuates along with others which are IEXPLORE.EXE, taskmgr.exe, svchost.exe and realplay.exe which keep popping up with between 3-6.

It says there are 52 processes running.

Does it seem like something i might just have to live with?!