Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM

dialup modem problems

I am getting a response of "no dial tone" when i try and connect with a dial up modem. i have replaced the modem and am positive i have dial tone. I have also done a repair install on the os.

please help
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
To start with the basics and work up to the involved stuff:
1. If the modem has two connection ports, make sure the wire from the wall outlet is plugged into the one labeled "Line," not the one labeled "Phone."
2. Check the wire itself by unplugging it from the modem and into a known working phone. The tiny wires inside the connector can get corroded.
3. If that all checks out, have you installed the drivers for the new modem? In Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager button, see if there's a yellow warning sign on the entry for the modem. If there is, you need to install the modem's drivers.
4. Also in Control Panel>Sytem>Hardware tab>Device Manager button, double click on Modems, double click on the Modem listed there then check:
a. General tab: make sure "Use this device (enable)" is showing in the Device Usage field
b. Diagnostics tab: click the "Query Modem" button to make sure Windows and the modem are talking to each other
c. Power Management tab: make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power" is not checked.
d. Click OK to close the Modem Properties window and to save any changes you made