Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Attempted Linux: Ubuntu

Attempted and failed. Ubuntu installed on a new hard drive but the system loses functionality after a username and password is entered i.e. the hard drive stops working, the screen stays brown with no windows, and the keyboard doesn't respond, not even the lock keys light up.

CPU- Intel Pentium 4E, 3000MHz
Motherboard- Intel Bonanza D875PBZ 64 bit
Motherboard chipset- i875P
RAM- 2GB DDR SDRAM
BIOS type- AMI
Video card- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS 256MB
Sound card- SB Audigy 2 ZS
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80GB
Optical Drives- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
Pioneer DVD-RM DVR-111D

Anything else?

The computer had a hard drive with Windows XP Home installed that has been successfully working for about 2 years. I swapped that hard drive with the new one and installed ubuntu.
I'm definitely willing to learn more than what I need to just fix the issue, so if you enjoy embellishing responses, then by all means, I'm listening.

Have a great day ladies and gentlemen.
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
So, the computer will boot up ubuntu, and boot the gdm login manager, at which point you can login? After logging in, does your keyboard still respond? When the screen hangs, press the key combination of ctrl+alt+F1, see what happens, and post back with the results.
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:52 AM

Greetings kage,
Yes, I can login, but about 5 seconds after I login, it stalls. Once the computer hangs, the key combination doesn't do anything. But in those 5 seconds before it hangs, the combination takes me to a comman prompt type screen. Also, I have tried installing the operation system from the beginning, but the same problem occurs at the same spot. Thanks for you help so far!
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

What kind of video card do you have? When you installed it, did you use a text installer or the gui installer?
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM

The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS 256MB and I did not do anything to install the video card specifically. I see why that could be a problem though, heh heh, should have thought of that sooner. So, how should I install it if I can't get to the ubuntu workspace?
By text installer, do you mean using that command prompt style screen you took me to by pressing ctrl+alt+F1? I've never installed by text before so I'll need some help with that.
And will this apply to my sound card as well? It is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hm, I really do not know what the problem is. If the gui installer worked, the system should still work. Might want to check with the ubuntu support forum.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:58 AM

Alright kage,I will. Thanks for your help!