Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2002, 11:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
Worst ISP

I was just wondering who has the worst isp here?
I used to have one that said i would never get busy signals because of the 5 to 1 ratio of computers to users. That was A BIG LIE. But now i have a nice cable modem
Old January 2nd, 2002, 12:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

Depends on what you mean by worst...

In matters of ISP software...AOL has to be the worst for invasive and buggy software. When I switched over to cable, it took days to get rid of all the AOL software and I still have a sneeking suspicion some fragments are still hanging around. They also have some peculiar ways of handling email photos that only other AOL members can decypher....strange.

I use a MSN dial-up account for back-up purposes. I use the older version of connection software (without the MSN browser) and accept for constantly trying to kick me off for inactivity...it's tolerable. But give me cable anytime!!!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 03:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

Anyone else have a terrible Internet Service Provider Anyone have something lower than 56k?
Old January 2nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

I used to have AOL And I didn't think much about it,I remembered getting kicked off during more downloads then anything else or get up and go to the bathroom and come back to find im off line again very irritating,so the worst would have to be AOL$ell.
the best dial up was worldshare
and now im on roadrunner cable
Old January 2nd, 2002, 05:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

The pigeon that I used to use really sucked.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:20 AM

the worst , without question , is AOL !
there are still LOTS of sites that are not AOL compatible. the thing that really seemed strange to me was how they would disconnect you every few mins. but , if YOU wanted to disconnect , it would take as long as 5 mins. because they MAKE you wait while they download files to your computer. and they would NEVER tell me what they were !

MSN was good as far as connections,but,they block a lot of content and sites. they also block access to most newsgroups. most of what they block is "adult" in nature and doesn't interest me but I want to make that choice , not have someone make it FOR me. that's why i live in the USA.

AT&T used to be VERY good but when my connection dropped to 12,122 bps i found out that their tech support is the worst. 15 calls over a 1 week period produced the final result of "sorry but we can't help you".

tried a few of the free services but don't like the ad banners you have to accept.

the BEST ISP , in my opinion , is EARTHLINK. i've been with them for almost 5 years now and NO PROBLEMS. any minor problems were always corrected within 24 hours.excelent tech support. and i get a free month of service if i recommend someone.(so if anyone needs a new ISP.......hint , hint. lol , sorry unemployment will do that to you)
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Thankfully, I've had cable for the last 3 years....but......

...anyone remember the old Toast.net? With a brand new (at the time) Diamond SupraMax 56, my best connects were around 12-14K.

And don't get me started about SurfFree.com. Sheeeesh........
Old January 3rd, 2002, 12:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

I also have road runner! It pretty good. Anyone know where i can test my connection speed?
Old January 3rd, 2002, 01:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

I use PCpitstop because it also does other things too like check your ping rate, it free and works good,plus it has a fix for slow internet connetions.pcpitstop
Old January 3rd, 2002, 02:57 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Check out Test My Speed. That site should keep you busy for hours.............
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:38 PM

I would say the worst ISP is the one I work for.. my god.. busy signals galore and always changing things without telling customers its nuts.. but it gets me good hrs as tech support.

As for worst national ISP my vote is AOL. When you dump them they leave all thier networking components which screws up a lot of other ISP stuff so when people try a new ISP they think the ISP is worse then AOL when in reality is buggy network crap left behind by AOhell.

Khaje
Old January 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I still have AOL and have to say that they do Suck. But it is without a doubt the best ISP around here. Just for regular Dial up service, my connects and downloads were 2 times what I can get with MSN, or any other.

Ironside, I have to agree. Worldshare was Awsome, it was the best dial up service. That was until they went pay and didn't offer Unlimited access. I hated that.

AOL is alright since I went with the Satelite servic. (NO Cable or DSL offered out here).... So with downloads going from 2.5kbps to anywhere from 250 to 920kbps. I cant complain. Downloaded a 200mb program in under 2minutes. I'm not going to ***** about that...LOL

Go ahead get out the hammers....