Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM

Thumbs down VERY LOW virtual memory ?

I have a new video card Had it now close to a week . Been doing good have not played any games Till lastnight, Ran a few video test. And did pretty good on the score but. When I started playing battlefield the game would freezup. Sound was very good but kept freezing, So I TOOK the game out and. I seen a popup at the bottom of screen saying my virtual memory was very low... So I restarted pc and thats when it went crazy... The blue screen was all dotted and broke up.. And when it got to my desk top it keep flashing on and off. .Till it just went to a solid blue screen and it would not do anything..... So I had to hit ctrl-alt-delete.. And shut it down there.. I have a (ati 9600 radeon 128mb 128bit) my pc has 256mb of ram Running Windows Xp with the Sp2....... I WAS also using the (omega driver) on my video card. But now, I did a system restore back to the day I PUT the new sound card in.. Using the driver that came with the card. But am at this time scared to try the game, Until I understand what happend. Can someone please tell me what they think. And what I can do to prevent this from happing again?
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Games take alot of computer resources. You may want to check your virtual memory and try using the setting (not sure of the wording) let the computer chose whats best. Also adding more ram will help.
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:03 AM

VERY LOW virtual memory ?

You can change this by going into My computer, Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Performace, Settings, Advanced, Performance Options, Advanced and at the bottom is "virtual memory" - select change and increase the amount - the minimum amount is 768Mb and the upper increase to whatever you want - mine is set at double that amount..click o.k. and any "apply" on exiting if required..

Sounds like your graphics card is SUS, so I would look at that also, or update drivers..

Hope this helps