Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

Question Any Better Graphics Card

Putting together an older system for a person and always like to experiment with older technology which at the time cost a bomb but know is on that eternal scrapheap.
Its an AMD socket A motherboard running at 2GHz with a XPvariant cpu I have given it Windows7 to run which its very good, topped off with 2.256GB memory (its max)
I blessed it with a Radeon 9550 graphics card and was quite happy then installed I player and found its visualiser (not its classic one) that pushed the system HARD! heat every where.
Its cpu has now got a larger heatsink+fan, motherboard has added heatsinks on some smaller chips that warmed up and it can last for about 4 tracks before the graphic driver fails then recovers, all are up to date.
I know it will never cope with just one cpu core etc but to get it to be at its best would be good, the motherboard can support agp x8 so other than say a Radeon 9800 is there a better card?
Have tried what I call those X cards from ATI which was around at the same time as radeons, but they are lame lasting about 20seconds of track 1.

Thought you guys could help if one did exist......

Many thanks from David
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

I player? The British TV thing? If that's what's taxing the card, consider a dedicated TV tuner card (ATI TV Wonder, that sort of thing).
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

No not TV, I mean the Apple software for computer usage to link with apple players etc their version of MS Media player, that you can rip tracks from CD and transfer over to Apple devices.
In the later free downloads it comes with two visualisers a classic one with an apple logo that pops up now and again at random among the display, the other is very in sync with music played putting a strain on Graphics cards and cpu. Looks like a very out in space type thing with rapid black and white flashings makes the graphics card etc switch very hard, a great tester for single core cpu systems to cope with.

Many thanks anyway from David