Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM

REGEDIT is not a file, it stands for registry editor and it simply allows you to edit the registry. The fact that REGEDIT doesn't work doesn't mean your registry is not there. If you had no registry then Windows would not boot, this is a fact.

The PC is not necessarily dead. Like I said earlier, connect the hard drive as a slave hard drive on another computer and pull the files off. It is a different drive altogether, so any viruses shouldn't infect the rest of the computer unless the files you copy over are infected.

Once you have your data backed up you can simply reformat the computer and reinstall Windows. This will get the computer back to the way it was when it was purchased and will get rid of any viruses or corruption. This is of course as long as the hard drive is not physcially damaged.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM

If you want, and your friend's situation could change at any minute, if you still want to try booting onto that unit, try www.ubcd4win.com/ and/or www.ultimatebootcd.com/.

I still say if data is that important, get this item http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=_27&body=MAIN and connect it to a protected unit. I have two of these connectors. Simple to use. Copy the data, making sure the computer's auto protect sees nothing, but afterwards, still do full, maximum setting scans with that program, any free one, like AVG, and any webbased one, like Trend Micro or Symantec (type "online virus scan" in your search engine"). All you do is plug in the USB adapter into the working unit and hook up the drive you want. You got access. In the case it being an IDE drive, hook up power first and then the USB. Again, you got access to files.

I say, get the data, wipe the old unit, and save some headaches if this is the case. All depends on how fast you need this data. I never seen this problem before so I can just give my thoughts on what to do now since the boot device is inaccessible.
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:44 AM

If you say so don't blow your head up now xD

Yeah CyberTrek we going to pull the files out and do it all quick and disconnected from the internet just to double make sure :P Thanks dude

Whoever infected his PC is a sick son of a basterd :P

Well thanks guys