Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Windows Explorer navigation issues and virus removal issues

Hi guys, I've got something of an annoying problem that I'd like some help with. About a 2 weeks ago I got a nasty virus from a computer at work, got on my flash disk and royally screwed up my computer when I came home to do some work. I had to format my computer and since then have had to format 3 additional times because things still just aren't working right. The final thing that seems to be wrong is that every time i log onto windows the "my documents" folder automatically opens, and any time i try to browse any of my devices, such as hard drives or removable media, it automatically takes me back to the "my documents" folder and if I try to right click to choose the explore option manually all it displays is a bunch of bold case X's and i have to go to the explorer address bar and either type in my destination or manually search for it from the drop down menu. In addition to that performance has generally been slower as well, and I'm currently on my 4th fresh, from-scratch reinstall of windows.

I don't remember now what the name of the virus was, but it seemed that it included that annoying EXPLORER.EXE nonsense. I've got 3 security programs, including spybot s&d, and AVG internet security 8 3 in 1 pack, and I've done multiple scans in normal user mode and in safe mode with and without networking just to make sure all bases were covered.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be causing this I would really appreciate.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
After formatting, what did you install your OS from? What other software did you install? Frankly, I don't think Spybot and AdAware are any good. IMO you should download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, which is free, unless you want real-time protection, and then run a full scan. Also, SUPERantispyware is not bad too.

Also, let's do one more check. Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage. From the left column expand Event Viewer and click on System. On the right side of the window, sort the view by date and under Source column start looking for "disk". If you have any "disk" errors in the past few days (or at all), that might be the problem, not the virus.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the event viewer and saw nothing for disk, or anything suggesting a disk error.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I'd like to hear them.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulverture View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the event viewer and saw nothing for disk, or anything suggesting a disk error.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I'd like to hear them.
I might have some, if you can try downloading the software I mentioned and running it. Also, I need to know answers to other questions, like from where you installed your operating system.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Ah, right.

I installed XP just from the windows xp student edition cd that I have. Same disk I've been using for the past couple years, and this is the first time this kind of strange stuff has been happening.

I'll check out and download those programs you suggested tomorrow after I get home from work. No time tonight to do so, and for the record i don't use Adaware, I use AVG internet security.
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Hi.

Also, I would suggest you run a full surface scan on your PC. You can do this by going to My Computer, right-clicking the C: drive and going to Properties, from there to Tools tab and click on Check for Errors (if I'm not mistaken, the first one there). Make sure you check both checkboxes and click on Start. The system will tell you it needs to restart your computer, so do this before the night and leave it there for the night, as it takes a few hours.

Also, after you've installed Windows only, did the same thing happen? I mean - just the bare system, no drivers or other software?