Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Need help to get out of this invasion trap

I am totally new here so please bare with me. Maybe I shouldn't be on here if infected. That tells you how little I know. So much to say so will shorten.
Anyone read about the microsoft small business groups getting hit by spammers? This is what's happened. I took out Norton several months ago to replace w/another prog.. A free trial and it expired. My fault here, I take ownership in that. I didn't know what to do with no help.
I downloaded Windows One Care and Defender for protection a couple weeks ago. Little did I know, I was hit already. It turned off my firewall, basically highjacked me. I have 265 object in quarantine and 351 removed by AdAware SE.
I am getting spoof mail claiming from Microsoft help and support. I dowloaded Grisoft firewall 30 day trial. I don't know if this will help much since they are already in my system. I called Microsoft Virus help only to tell me I need to back up data, clean and format hardrive. They are to call me back on Tuesday. I don't even have the XP boot CD. A friend has it who may come and help but can't promise it.
In the meantime, here I am and with no money at this time to buy anything to help me nor do I have anybody to help. I have 8 pages of notes on what I did, what happened,etc.. So I can help some with that. Otherwise, is there anyone out there who can help me in the meantime and until I get a boot disk and help. I have no idea where to begin with that.
I will respect your decision to not touch this mess. Can't blame you. I will just keep a eye out. Thanks for reading any further than the title Slamina
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Best thing to do is use online scanners.....
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://www.ewido.net/en/
Advice to reformat is probably the best...once you are heavily infested, I have seldom seen any machine run right that "ripped" out all kinds of spyware and virus, because that is typically what spyware removers do, especially Adaware.
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Post back in this thread with the make and model of your computer (Dell Dimension, Compaq Presario, etc.) and if there's a model number, include that, too.

If you want to proceed with wiping everything off the drive, reinstalling Windows (and a good, free antivirus program) and start fresh, it's likely what you need to do that is built into the harddrive.
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:52 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Lightbulb My computer's in a mess and so am I

Thanks for both of your replies. It's much.. much.. appreciated. I am going to need to do this on my own and maybe with Microsoft since they are to give me a phone call this Tuesday afternoon. 3/21.
In answer to your questions; My computer was custom built and all I know about it is what the system summary tells me. The system manufacturer is Matsonic, model-MS9307C+, system type-X86-based PC. I hope this helps you. I'm afraid I will need to take it in to a shop.
As far as downloading other good programs for now until I can afford to buy them, I am stumped as to what is the best. I have the Windows One Care and Defender. Also, Grisoft/AVG 7.1 firewall and Venus Spy trap. Is that too much? I don't even know what's running since I have so much.
Sorry I can't help anymore than that. It's just really nerve racking and tends to really stimulate the ol' anxiety and stress level.
Thanks again, Slamina