Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old October 17th, 2019, 03:27 AM

>>Windows 10 or is it just a junk computer?

Thanks for taking a look. Running Windows 10.
new Shinobee no model number desktop PC.

Issue: I am unsure how this began this time. The computer is only about three months old, but has crashed at least three times.

Windows 10 crashed, not sure why.
I suspect that it forces updates and those crashed it this time.

Next steps I took:

1. Hard reboot, showed only blue MS logo, stuck there. All keys and mouse unresponsive.
2. Hard reboot. Blue Logo with "Preparing Automatic Repair". Stuck there doing nothing, all keys and mouse unresponsive.
3. Hard reboot. Stuck on just blue logo again.
4. Hard reboot. Again same results as number 2 above.
5. Workmen in the apartment proceed to idiotically trip the circuit breaker three times in a row. They couldn't speak English, so hard to get them to understand to use another outlet instead.
6. Hard reboot, same results as number 1 again.
7. Hard boot, same as number 2 again.
8 Disconnected DSL cable, removed commercial DVD from drive, hard reboot, back to number 1 again.

This is the second or third time I have gotten stuck on "preparing automatic repair".
Searching a solution, it says "just hard boot three times in a row" but that isn't working this time, as you can see from the list above'

I can get the F keys to do things during boot, but I don't really understand how to use them.
Otherwise the keys and mouse are totally frozen.

"solutions" offered on MS website sound scary......they say, make a disc and boot from that. But I don't really understand, and I don't want to lose my data. I don't want to reinstall windows, I just want to boot normally again.
Besides, this came preinstalled, so how the heck would I know my license code?
Old October 19th, 2019, 01:33 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I see you have posted on several different forums trying to get answers, and some of the answers I read are just plain stupid.

You will need to boot from the USB drive that you created then you can try a repair of the system.

Appears maybe you have access to another computer, does it have Windows 10 on it? If so, then you can use that to make the USB drive. But first lets see if we can get you into BIOS SETUP.

Reboot and once the first screen comes on start tapping the "DEL" key see if it enters SETUP. If it freezes, then reboot again but this time start tapping the F9 key, freezes then try this:

1. Power down
2. Hold down the "SHIFT" key and Power up
If you get a menu select Troubleshoot>Advance options>Start Up Settings>Restart

After Windows 10 restarts one more time, you can choose which boot options you want to be enabled. To get into Safe Mode, you have three different options:
Standard Safe Mode - press the 4 or the F4 key on your keyboard to start itSafe Mode with Networking - press 5 or F5Safe Mode with Command Prompt - press either 6 or F6

See if it will get into SAFE MODE NO....

If Windows 10 fails to boot normally THREE TIMES over, the fourth time it will enter by default in a Automatic Repair.

To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the Reset or the Power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the Power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 4 seconds to force the power off. When Windows 10 enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is "Preparing Automatic Repair."

Lets see if any of this helps.

I you made the USB recovery right, then once you can get into SETUP select USB as the first boot device , put it in and reboot and you will end up at the same place as above.

If it isn't made right then you will have to remake the USB recovery, and using another computer with Windows 10, you can do that. The key is the USB drive has to be Bootable.

In the other computer:

Put in the USB Drive and do the following:

Step 1. Insert your USB flash drive with ample free space on it to the computer.

Step 2. Search Create a recovery drive in the search box. Click the option and open it.

Step 3. Check the box "Back up system files to the recovery drive" and click Next.

Step 4. Wait until the wizard prepares to copy files to your flash drive.

Step 5. Select your USB flash drive and click Next.

Step 6. Confirm the warning message that "everything on the drive will be deleted. If you have any personal files on this drive, make sure you've backed up the files" and click Create.

Step 7. When the final message "The recovery drive is ready" appears, click Finish.
Old October 31st, 2019, 04:29 PM

It would be useful to know which specific answers you consider "stupid" and exactly why.

meanwhile, I will attempt what you suggest and post results. yes, I have an old functioning computer that was dying of BSOD. It took months, but it appears as if someone helped fix it. Has not BSOD in a couple of weeks.

In a panic I purchased a new Win10 machine, and that is the one that will not currently boot.
Old October 31st, 2019, 05:23 PM

Tried first three methods you suggest, all exactly the same result

BIOSTAR menu of F keys comes up, press an F key, then two loud beeps in quick succession, then goes to black screen with yellow heading "Hardware Monitor" then a blinking white cursor. Mouse and keyboard then are totally unresponsive.

That is all I get now, the Hardware screen.

Previously, I have these types of freeze:

1. Black screen with nothing but blue Windows logo;
2. Same as #1, but underneath it says something like Automatic Repair. After hours waiting, nothing happens.
3. Long before these freeze ups there was a freeze up with a spinning dotted circle. That was so long ago, I dont' remember any other details. I think I got out of that by internet advice to manually reboot three times in a row.

Last edited by bobwhite; October 31st, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 02:10 AM

Tried a brand-new RAM stick, still getting two beeps.
Old November 9th, 2019, 01:39 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Just got back from 2 weeks vacation. Did you make the USB Recovery drive/stick???