Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old October 5th, 2019, 10:51 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Black screen again

A few months ago got a black screen, thanks to Murf it was soon sorted just by pressing Shift and f8 and restarting. That dosent seem to work this time. It seems to power up when I press shift so when I need to power up I,m turning it off. Sounds odd but have tried many times. Have tried : windows key+ Ctr+shift+B nothing. Tried all the options I could find nothing works. The only thing that got a response was Pressing windows key and P that came up with project options none of which responded to anything. Help
Old October 6th, 2019, 01:55 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Try booting into Recovery Environment;

Turn you computer on and off three (3) times, while booting it., make sure you turn the computer off when you see the Windows logo. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into diagnostics mode.

Click Advance options when the recovery screen appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advance Options

Click Start Up Repair

Lets see if this works
Old October 6th, 2019, 08:05 AM

no luck

Hi Murf, tried that, turned off as soon as Lenovo logo came on three times. You could see it trying to load for a few seconds then revert to black screen. Tried again but the Lenovo logo did not come up again just straight to black screen/ Not looking good.
Old October 6th, 2019, 05:06 PM

Do you have a recovery USB by chance?

If not do you have access to another computer with Windows 10 on it?

OK A Lenovo, I assume a Laptop?

Press the power button at the black screen until your computer turns off. Hold the shift and F8 keys and then press the power button again. Hold shift and F8 until the screen displays "Please Wait". You should see a recovery screen. If you see a black screen again, retry these steps.

If you get to the recovery screen then select advance repair options, then troubleshoot, startup settings and restart.

Then select Enable Safe Mode

If you get in then do this:

Open the start menu and search "Device Manager." Expand the "Display adapters" tab and right-click on your graphics card. Select "Uninstall" and follow the prompts to complete the uninstall. Restart your PC and attempt to log in normally.
Old October 7th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Back in action

Well Murf you,ve got me going again, The Shift and F8 worked eventually. What I was doing wrong was not shutting down computer properly between tries. Anyway it,s up and running again now. It did not go to recovery screen just strait to my desktop. I went to device manager and uninstalled graphics card then restarted and all seems fine now.Is there anything else I should do. As always thanks so much
Old October 7th, 2019, 07:23 PM

OK! Great a couple of things you need to do while she is running.

1. Make a recovery USB drive.

Get a USB STICK with at least 8GB on it.

1. In the search box next to the Start button, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.

2. When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.

3. Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next.

4.Wait for Windows to pick up the USB drive, it then will show you the drive telling you how much free space you need on it. Make sure the right drive is selected and click Next.

5. Next window will say Create a recovery Drive

6. It can take a while you will see a progress screen, when done it will tell you then you click on Finish

Then if ever it does not start you can use it to boot up.

Second lets run the trouble shooter now, reinstalling the Video driver may of solved it but need to check:

Using the USB drive you just created

1. Boot from it
2. Choose your Keyboard layout language
3. Click on Troubleshoot
4. Click on Advance Options
5. Click on Start Up Repair

If you haven't created the USB recovery yet then you can run the troubleshooter from within Windows;

1. Right Click on the Start then go to Settings
2. Click on Update & Security
3. Left Pane click on Recovery
4. Under Advance Startup click on Restart Now
Old October 10th, 2019, 10:19 AM

Nothing is ever simple

Hi, as always things did not go as planed, creating usb backup. I got a 8GB memory stick but when I ran the thing it said I needed 16GB I had an external drive with hundreds of spare GB on it so thought I would put it on there, I think I was warned but did not take it in. Putting it on there wiped out everything that was on there hundreds of photos and videos. Not too bad as they were backup I still have most of them on laptop. Will I now be able to use this to recover windows. When I get chance I will buy 25GB memory stick and put it on there so I can have my storage drive back. There were three items save to the drive. I know it is probably basic to you but how do you recover windows using this?
On to the second part when I went on settings it did not have the option Update & Security so I could not follow your instructions. I found an option to reset this computer was not sure if I should do that. Thanks.
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:00 AM

It is easier to use a USB stick. Generally 8gb is plenty but I have mine on a 16GB one., It has to be bootable, and your external drive probably is not bootable.

You can recover what was on the external drive if you want.

I have used this program with success.

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery...y-software.htm

DO NOT RESET>>

Hum it should of been Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update OK may not of been installed with Windows 10 1803 version, 1903 does have it like I describe.

So to run it you will need to boot from the USB Stick.
Old October 14th, 2019, 09:18 AM

usb

Hi Murf, not been able to get usb yet, when I do I,ll follow your insructions. To boot from usb do I just plug in usb and then power up? I,m not worried about the stuff lost on the storage drive, in this digital age you save too many photos I have hundreds. There was something nice about taking your film to the chemist waiting a day to get them back and finding about three good ones out of 36.
Old October 14th, 2019, 04:26 PM

Once you get the USB you get into BIOS SETUP and change the boot order to USB as the first boot device, then the Hard Drive as the second.. Then save and exit and it will boot from the USB.

Yes waiting for pictures from the development company was always nice, now everything is instant.
Old October 28th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Usb

Sorry it's been a while I havent been well. Anyway I now have a usb backup and was able to replace most of the stuff back to my storage device. The laptop seems to be working well again. Thanks for all your help.
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:51 AM

Just black screen? Without any error message reports? To this problem, you can enter the Windows recovery mode:
Insert the installation media into your PC and change your boot order to boot from the media.
Power up your computer and wait for “press any key to boot from CD or DVD” screen to appear and press any key to continue.
At the Windows Boot Manager, select “Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]” and hit on “Enter” key on your keyboard.
At the Windows installation screen, click “Next”.
Then click on “Repair your computer” to access the “Choose an option” window, and select “Troubleshoot”.
Click “Startup Settings”.
When the “Startup Settings” screen appears, click “Restart”.
Then you will see the “Advanced Boot Options” screen. Use the keyboard to navigate to “Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced)” and press the “Enter” key.

This feature will recover Windows PC or Server to the last good status if you are having trouble starting it normally after a failed update, driver installation or software setup.
Or you can try to fix MBR on the system disk.
Old January 17th, 2020, 01:10 AM

wangyan

You cut and pasted the wrong info. This is a WINDOWS 10 forum

Windows 10 does not have "Last Known Configuration"

Your instructions do not pertain to Windows 10
Old January 27th, 2020, 09:00 AM

i Know you try your best to fix this issue but don't lose hope and just try to use this method mention in this blog at https://tweaklibrary.com/fix-google-...-screen-issue/
Old January 27th, 2020, 09:58 AM

Not sure why people are commenting here Murf sorted my problems brilliantly as always.
Closed Topic