Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:48 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Remote procdure failed

Hi, my laptop has a problem with anything connected to internet facebook, google anything that needs to connect to the internet. I can open photos, videos no problem. The message I get is "The Remote Procedure Call Failed" Tried various things then decided to use System Restore got message"Windows has detected file system corruption check disc for errors before it can be restored" I should mention that I,m using Edge.
I was a bit lost by this time then I remembered I had another user account tried that and everything worked fine, so I,m ok but would still like to sort out my original acc. I have a lot of stuff on there. I went on it before writing this to check it was still the same, it was. While there I tried internet explorer that worked fine as well. So it must be edge on that acc. Edge works fine on other acc. Hope that all makes sense not a lot of computer lingo then I'm not very good at all that. Thanks for any help.
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Hi, it looks like system restore has flagged your file system as dirty (NTFS), it will stay that way until you clear it. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. At the prompt copy paste:-

fsutil dirty query C: (press enter)

It will most likely confirm c: as dirty. (if not) no matter continue :-

Next type:- chkdsk /r (press enter) It will report the type of file system and say it cannot run while the volume is in use, say Y to run at boot (press enter) and restart computer.

Chkdsk will run at restart and can take a long time (hours) so let it run, when finished it will boot to windows, let us know if the problem continues, or chkdsk reports problems.
Old July 6th, 2017, 02:32 PM

Chkdsk problem

Hi, thanks for your help jenae. The first bit worked ok and said the disc was dirty. Then I tried chkdsk/r it seemed to take instruction but when I restarted the comp. nothing happened. I have two acc. on the comp. "gwilym" and "gwil47" The "gwilyym" acc. is from way back and works fine, the "gwil47" acc. is there I can sign in and play videos look at photos etc. but nothing that needs internet. I looked at user acc. and there is only one showing there the "gwilym" acc. No idea what's going on!
I'm assuming I would see something if chkdsk was running.
Old July 7th, 2017, 02:52 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I have two acc. on the comp. "gwilym" and "gwil47" The "gwilyym" acc. is from way back and works fine, the "gwil47"

Then there is nothing wrong with your hardware, as hardware is not dependent on which user account you use. It has to be a corrupted user account i.e., gwil47

Iwould create a new account, then transfer the files to it from the corrupted on i.e., gwilyym

Half way down shows you how.
http://windowsreport.com/corrupt-use...le-windows-10/
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Hi, thanks Murf it is most likely a corrupt profile, however as the disk is now marked as dirty, (fsutil dirty query C: confirmed) neither system restore regular maintenance or trim (SSD) or defrag HDD (among others will run) so we need to clear this dirty bit (it relates to the NTFS file system and has nothing to do with hardware).

To do this we have to run a chkdsk, it appears it did not run, we can force it.

Hold the shift key down as you press the restart button this opens recovery. Select Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, then Command prompt.

A x: sources cmd prompt will open at the prompt type:-

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (press enter) ( must type exactly as shown here the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key on the keyboard)

It will return osdevice ... partition "X" where X is a drive letter (in this mode the os drive is not always allocated to c: drive, typically in ten it is d: drive)

Use the drive letter returned by the cmd ( assume D), at the prompt type:-

D: (press enter)

The prompt will change to D:> at this type:-

chkdsk/r (press enter) it will tell you the file system and if it does not proceed to run chkdsk, rather it say's the volume is in use and do you want to unmount it Y\N press Y and press enter (dismounting the volume is perfectly safe here as windows will remount when restarted).

Chkdsk will then run through 5 stages and will take a long time after this restart the computer and follow the advice in Murf's post (although you may find the old account works fine now, test first) let us know how you get on.

Last edited by jenae; July 7th, 2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old July 7th, 2017, 11:37 AM

not recognised

Hi Janae, had a few problems following your instuctions first was I was asked for a password for acc. "gwil47" I thought I knew it but it would not accept it I could be wrong I suppose. I managed to change the "gwilym" acc. to administrator acc. and went on from there. I followed your instuctions uo to entering the bcdedit|find"osdevice" it came up with Not recognised as internal or external command. I tried a few ways of putting it in always the same result. From past experience it will be me missing something.
Old July 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM

Hi, from your post #6 bcdedit|find"osdevice" note there is a space after bcdedit |find then another space to"osdevice" so with spaces it is:-

bcdedit |find "osdevice"
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:19 PM

chkdsk ??

Hi Janae, I have run chkdsk, (I think) The letter that came up was C: It ran for a short time, I thought it would take hours. The bits I could read said : Scanned file system no problems no further action required. At the end of it was: Failed to trancfer logged messages to the event log with status 50. Did something not work? The gwil47 acc. is still not working.
Old July 7th, 2017, 07:23 PM

checked again still says C: is dirty.
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:09 AM

Hi, you did run chkdsk/r and not simply chkdsk? Did it say the volume was in use and did you unmount the volume (Y)? The error 50 is normal in this instance, the system cannot access event viewer to write the log, so it errors.

Should have taken at least half an hour+ , even on a fast ssd. Runs through 5 stages.

Open a cmd prompt as admin, to do this go to search and type:- command prompt, search will return command prompt, right click on this and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

At the prompt copy the text below (highlighted in red for you) then in the cmd prompt window right click and select paste, after the cmd has appended to the prompt. Press enter

REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v BootExecute /s > 0 & notepad 0

Please copy the notepad outcome into your next reply.
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:24 AM

notepad

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autochk /r \??\C:\0autocheck autochk /m /P \Device\HarddiskVolume2\0autocheck autochk *

End of search: 1 match(es) found.

I think I did it right, but with me nothing works out simple ask Murf he,s helped me in the past always with complecations.
Old July 8th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Hi, take your time I have plenty of patience, and do not be afraid to ask about anything you do not understand.

What about chkdsk, my post #10 can you answer the questions asked there?

WE can mod your registry for the default settings for bootexecute, first though I need to know what happened with chkdsk.

Can you also open a cmd as admin (as shown) and this time copy paste this text into the cmd prompt.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, please copy the notepad text into your next reply (this will tell us about your computer)
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:16 PM

more

ECHO is on.

Host Name: GWILYM-TOSH
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.15063 N/A Build 15063
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Microsoft
Registered Organization: Microsoft
Product ID: 00326-10000-00000-AA432
Original Install Date: 16/06/2017, 12:24:46
System Boot Time: 08/07/2017, 07:04:42
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: SATELLITE L750
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2200 Mhz
BIOS Version: INSYDE 3.00, 30/12/2011
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-gb;English (United Kingdom)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
Total Physical Memory: 6,092 MB
Available Physical Memory: 3,592 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 7,116 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 4,557 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 2,559 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\GWILYM-TOSH
Network Card(s): 2 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter
Connection Name: Wi-Fi
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.1.11
[02]: fe80::4cfb:9991:b901:2e44
[03]: fdc4:72f:8d22:9000:5115:8de3:7792:b4c2
[04]: fdc4:72f:8d22:9000:4cfb:9991:b901:2e44
[02]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Connection Name: Ethernet
Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: No
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No
Second Level Address Translation: No
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

d i s p l a y N a m e = W i n d o w s D e f e n d e r

D e s c r i p t i o n = I n t e l ( R ) H D G r a p h i c s

P N P D e v i c e I D = P C I \ V E N _ 8 0 8 6 & a m p ; D E V _ 0 1 0 6 & a m p ; S U B S Y S _ F C 5 0 1 1 7 9 & a m p ; R E V _ 0 9 \ 3 & a m p ; 1 1 5 8 3 6 5 9 & a m p ; 0 & a m p ; 1 0

ECHO is on.

About chkdsk/r I think I followed the instuctions, on restarting comp. nothing happened. There is a posssiblity that I did something wrong.
Old July 9th, 2017, 01:29 AM

Hi, go back to my post #5, read it carefully and then follow the instructions, you have not run a chkdsk on the OS drive. Remember it will run straight after you unmount the volume (no need to restart), will run through 5 stages and take a long time.
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:14 AM

got there somehow.

Hi again, well I think we made it. Here,s the story: I managed to get chkdsk to run it didn't take very long. You said there was 5 stages it stopped at 4. The last few lines were: File data verification completed an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4fa). Failed to transfer logged messages to event log with status 50.
I closed it down and restarted I then went to Gwil47 the faulty acc.
Nothing worked the message I got was This app didn't start. I think that is different message to what it was. I then had trouble getting out of the acc.
I was about to press button to close the computer down when a message came up, Your computer has run into trouble we will restart for you.
Next message was, Automatic Repair. Then, Repairing disc errors may take over an hour. After a few minutes it restarted. Went back to faulty acc. and everything worked fine.
So now it,s all working well. Thanks so much jenae for your help and patience