Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:18 PM

windows 10 build 10240 trying anniversary update

Hi,
after several attempts of updating/upgrading to the anniversary version I am here to ask for advice.
for the last update i used the media creator version to get the update as my standard update search tells me that i am up to date.
when updating which takes about 30 to 45 min it will end in an error page, telling me it will collect info and send it to microsoft after which the pc freezes,
it displays page fault in non paged area, then i tried doing the same installation as administrator, made sure my updates aren't deferred, it went trough until another error message and the system defaulted back to vers 10240 showing the following message:9xC1900101-0x30018
the installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation
i don't know how to go about this, some search indicated faulty drivers or apps, how do i troubleshoot this?
pc is a dell 5400T 4GB of ram windows 10 pro
Old October 14th, 2016, 08:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
http://www.windowscentral.com/window...oblems-how-fix

Make sure the screen is giving you the right error code?

Look under section on the above page.
Resolution

You'll need to investigate and determine the error code by checking your update history

Normally the error FIRST_BOOT is caused by hardware, either the hard drive or the video card (if equipped)

I would run chkdsk on the drive, disable any Anti-Virus'

1. Right click on start then to Command Prompt (Admin)
2. Type the following: chkdsk C: /f

Reboot and it will start the checking
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:59 AM

windows 10 build 10240 trying anniversary update

Hi Murf,
sorry my mistake, the error code is:

0xC1900101-0x30018
the installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation

i have a screen shot just not sure if i can post it and how

when i look for solutions it's not clear to me what to do, all i found was possibilities, so i did chkdsk c:/f

reboot, and did the check, yet i couldn't find a report, after reboot it didn't give me any indication and went back to the desktop

i looked at the update history:
the first failed update was a malicious software removal tool in 10.2.2016 and every day there after, then 26.2.2016 installed successfully,
march failed again until april it was successful

cumulative update (KB3156387) failed on 11.5.2016 but was successfully installed 12.5.2016

august malicious software failed, next day it installed successfully

i must say the system works and doesn't give me any problems

so to me i can't find any error code in the update history

NVIDIA Quadro FX 570

don't know if this info helps, originally that pc was windows xp
i bought windows 7 but didn't want to install over xp, so i installed a second hard drive installing w7, bypassed w8 and did the free upgrade of win10, never had any problems, just recently found out that the version is still in it's infant stage?
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:54 PM

chkdsk files the report in windows event logs, here is a step-by-step for Windows 10:
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-find-...in-windows-10/

When doing the update turn off:

Anti-Virus
Firewall
Bluetooth
Tell it not to save settings any files or apps

You will have to reinstall unfortunately.
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:23 PM

Hi Murf,

thanks for your help, the chkdsk report i couldn't locate with the 26226 under filters, but i've seen many errors, not sure what they all mean.

well, i made a back up of everything, instead of clean install i think i remain with the system as it is, since it doesn't crash or give me any problems.

also found out that my dell t5400 (it is a dinosaur) doesn't receive any updates as far as dell is concerned to support windows anniversary, which is sort of strange because i had windows check when i first installed it and it said it was compatible, but maybe that check was just testing sufficient ram, processor and space on the hd

so i'm kind of worried if i did a fresh install some things might not work right
thanks
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:34 PM

dell t5400 not listed as you said:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297954

If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, and drivers have not been updated for that model..

But then I found an update:
http://www.dell.com/support/article/...n#Precision-DT

And the T5600 was tested but not the T5400

I don't see why yours would not:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:58 PM

ok, makes sense, on the weekend (maybe sooner) I try to do in place install, if that works good, if it doesn't I leave it at the old 10240 I guess,
thanks for your time so far, I let you know how it went.
Old November 8th, 2016, 04:32 PM

Hi Murph,

sorry for the late reply. to make a long story short, i ended up with ms chat support and had some people make changes to my system, and then was ensured this time it will work, i don't know where they got that confidence, countless times i installed os, trying 1607, 1511, all failed, the last tech suggested to put on xp and i would have a stable system, i didn't buy it, so to recoupe tier 1 support, half of them had no clue, so i insisted on tier 2, finally i got a knowledgable person and it started to make sense, even so my pc is old, that doesn't mean it cannot run win 10, if something was questionable it would be the sound driver for my sb fx and nvidia driver, the processor and motherboard is not the issue, so 10240 was installed clean, just made a mistake by having both hard drives plugged in and when the tech said delete the partitions while doing the install i accidently did that for drive 0 and drive 1, but regardless 10240 installed perfect, found a driver for win 10 on creative website ( btw it doesn't stipulate which version that is for) installed it and let the grafics card find it's own driver through the updates, it kept on updating automatically and at one time it said updates are ready for 1607, i got a little scared and after some restarts and updates, 1511 was in line to get installed, i did let that happen, and it installed, at that point everything looked ok, eventually i tested sound, only a tiny noise was hearable from speakers, headphoes in the front jack nothing, the soundbar in green was moving up and down what you would expect as a viual indication that sound is processed and it would show edaquate levels, yet only .5% at full power was audible, then it crashed after 30 min with the same light blue screen, system thread exception not handled, btw at that time i was on my own and the tech tier 2 was supposed to call me back on the 1. i guess she forgot she had a day off, anyway at that stage i decided to do a repair on the system returning back to 10240, no probs there and sound and grafic driver were still installed and up and running, i decided to defer upgrades, the next day she called back and asked some questions, the gist of what i understood is that 1511 and 1607 have backward compatibillity issues, not the other way around, so 10240 is the stable one, 1511 and 1607 is good in a new pc i agree, but eventually they should be worked out to support older mashines which makes sense, os should always be backward compatible otherwise it would force us to by a new mashine with each upgrade, i bet win 10 could run on a 386 if it had enough ram, just would be dead slow, the tech called back and even so the updates in history said that they failed, but i was able to verify them under device manager, she went through the system and ensured me that it's ok and i shouldn't worry about the failed msg under update history, i was able to dig up some important files with recuva from the 2nd hd even so it still doesn't have a drive letter anymore, well, case closed i guess, if you have 10240 and it runs stick with it until ms fixes 1511 and 1607 ( for older mashines)

ps, raid or no raid wasn't the issue, my system was raid / ahci
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the update, you can assign a drive letter to the 2nd drive:

Right click on "My Computer" then to "Manage"

Click on Disk Management in the left pane

If you don't have "My Computer" Icon then Right click on the Start button then click on Disk Management

Find the drive with no letter assigned

To assign a drive letter the drive (Partition) must be Active, right click on the drive. Make active then change drive letter to assign a drive letter.
Old November 13th, 2016, 10:20 AM

Thanks Murf,

first I used recuva, even so there was no drive letter it found files on it,

the drive letter was c:/? so it was identifiable

I could restore basic files and I forgot that I made some hard copies on cd beforeI installed win 10 last year

then assigned drive letter with diskmgmt and formatted it
all good now,

thanks