Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:23 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question Critical error: start menu has stopped working

Hello

I apologise in advance if this problem has been posted before.
A few days ago I was manually updating Norton 360's virus definition (it does it automatically) but was going to run a full system scan anyway so did both.
Norton upon completing the update, advised that an update to the software was ready, so proceeded to update that.

Everything went fine, restarted as asked by Norton, then a day later After left clicking on the start menu, a window popped up saying the following 'critical error: the start menu has stopped working' it asked me to sign out and back in but it didn't help.

I've searched Google and found that it is a common issue with windows 10, seems a solution is to uninstall the antivirus, though the one mentioned mainly online is Avast.
I uninstalled Norton, restarted and the start menu was working again, then reinstalled Norton and everything was ok again for the rest of the day.

I signed in to windows today and the start menu has stopped working again, the other thing about it is my icons on the task bar still work I can open my browser, email etc but can't right click on them. The bottom right side of the desktop where the clock doesn't work i.e the notifications tabs not working.

I can right click on the start menu to restart, shut down etc, which 90% of the posts I've read online aren't able to do that.
I've tried other fixes from online posts, CMD and sfc /scannow then restart when finished but nothing has worked apart from uninstalling Norton.

Again I apologise if this has already been answered in the forums here but would appreciate some help or advise.

Thank you

Last edited by dannythedog; October 4th, 2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
Old October 5th, 2015, 12:38 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I am not a advocate for Norton, besides Windows 10 has anti-virus and Malware built in so you don't need it. It is obvious that Norton is not compatible with Windows 10 right now. I would uninstall and leave it off.

Windows Defender is a real time anti-virus and has built in anti malware. It is the only thing I use and all my machines and I run Windows 10 on them.

I am not knocking Norton, have used it in the past but it causes more problems then it is worth.
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:57 PM

I've never had a problem with Norton, used it on XP, Vista, 7 and now 10, only since i updated the program has the start menu stopped working, bit annoying.
Is Windows Defender adequate for protection?
Remember when i was on Vista, reading that it wasn't up to scratch hence the use of a well known program as Norton.
Old October 5th, 2015, 06:25 PM

Windows Defender for Windows 10 is really improved and is adequate protection, I have not had any problems with the 2 systems I have it on. I also run once a month Malwarebytes (which is a free program).

Windows Defender is essentially the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials

Windows Defender has a lot of advantages. It’s built-in, won’t harass you with pop-ups and requests for money, and is lighter than some competing antivirus solutions. It won’t attempt to harvest your browsing data and make money from it, as some free antivirus programs have started doing in an attempt to make a profit.

Overall though, Windows Defender doesn’t provide bad protection. Assuming you keep Windows up-to-date — which happens automatically now — and use an up-to-date browser.

However, if you’re regularly downloading pirated applications and engaging in other high-risk behaviors, you may want to skip Windows Defender and get something that does better against the collection of obscure malware samples used to test antivirus software.
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:33 PM

I just uninstalled Norton, did it in safe mode with administrator privileges.
Restarted, turned off safe mode, restarted again and the start menu still isn't working.
When i click on Firefox, the "Firefox isn't currently set as your default browser" window, been doing that the same time I've had problems with the start menu.
The first time i uninstall Norton, the program gave me the option to uninstall but save my settings for future re installation, which i did, the start menu worked.
This time i completely removed Norton and the menu still isn't working, prior to updating Norton, everything was fine, now that Norton is uninstalled, it's still not working.
Most confusing.
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:52 PM

Right click Start then go to Command Prompt (Admin), select then type in Powershell hit enter.

Now copy and paste the following:

Get-AppXPackage-AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage-DisableDevelopmentMode-Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Press enter and let the process run Don't worry about the red error messages which might appear.

When it is finished you should see a prompt at the end (bottom of the panel) Close the window hopefully your start menu will be back.
Old October 8th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Hi, thank you but that is one of the methods i found online a couple of
days ago but it didn't help.
Double checked I'd done everything right but once i rebooted, the menu
was still frozen.
Don't understand as before this everything was working fine.
Old October 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM

Going back to Norton is it the latest version: Is it Norton Security 22.5.2.15 or Norton 360, Norton Anti-Virus??

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us

Since it initially worked for a day, then quit.

Have you tried restore to a earlier date when it was working?
  1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
  2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.
Old October 8th, 2015, 07:51 PM

Hi,
bloody thing is so temperamental at the moment, the start menu is working even as i
type this message yet earlier when i logged in i had the error message pop up when
clicking on the menu.

I'm running Norton 360 version 22.5.4.24, the latest one.
I've also posted the problem on Norton's community forum and had a reply from another
user of the same version that is having the the same problem.
I will try the restore point recovery as you say but to be honest when ever i've
attempted that in the past it's failed every time.
Old October 9th, 2015, 11:52 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
How do I turn on Windows Defender and also firewall .I removed Norton and it made quite a difference
Old October 9th, 2015, 01:15 PM

You go to settings/update & security/Windows Defender and i believe you turn it on at the
bottom, under use windows defender.

If you can't access the settings menu, use CTRL,ALT & DELETE, open the task manager,
click file, Run new task, type powershell and check the box "create this task with
administrative privileges", OK then copy and paste this line in to powershell: Explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Windows.ImmersiveControlPanel_cw5 n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

once you have settings open might be an idea to right click on the settings icon and pin
to task bar so you can access settings easier.

Last edited by dannythedog; October 9th, 2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:28 PM

Is there any way to access my programs other than with the start menu?
Can't find the Start Menu folder in C:/ in Windows 10, don't know of any other way and a search on Google hasn't thrown any methods up either, not for Windows 10.
Old October 16th, 2015, 07:38 PM

You can make a File Explorer shortcut on your taskbar:

Put shortcuts on desk top for the programs you want.

Create a keyboard shortcut:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/open-prog...in-windows-10/

The best way to open the Startup folder in Windows 10 is with the address shell:startup, you can enter this path in address bar of MS Explorer.

Or use the Run-Dialog Box [Windows-logo] + [R] in Windows-10 and enter the command shell:startup

To create a new desktop shortcut:

For the logged on user, make a shortcut and enter:

shell:startup=%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\StartMen u\Programs\Startup
Old October 16th, 2015, 08:10 PM

Thank you.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:04 PM

Well now my brightness on my laptop has been turned down.
I printed an invoice for work last night and when i turned off the printer, the screen on the laptop went black then came back on with lower brightness.
tried the keyboard brightness key, icon shows on the screen but it won't turn up or down.
Went in to control panel/ hardware & sound/ power options/ edit plan settings to check that when plugged in it was still running on high performance which it is.
Windows mobility centre shows the brightness as 100% too.
Opened AMD Control Centre and the active power plan is high performance too, clicked on switchable graphics application settings and under recent applications it shows the following: logonui.exe as power saving, but it's locked so can't change it.
Don't know what else to try, has anyone got an idea how to fix this?
Also last night was the first time i had used the printer since upgrading to Windows 10.
Wishing I'd of stayed on Windows 7 now as 10 seems broken as hell.