Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old February 20th, 2020, 10:38 AM

What Should I Think

I've got myself into a mental pickle and I'd like to ask for some thoughts, please.

Firstly, I am sitting on a fence on this and at this writing I do not know into whose pasture I am going to jump. I told the media company I would not go public and I told the police the same thing, BUT that was before I realized they might just ignore me, in a manner of speaking.

By "manner of speaking" I mean that some polite style responses were sent to me about how I was helpful and thank you this and that but then silence. Silence before I was sure that the situation has been properly dealt with.

So I will remain circumvent in the opening posts here, but ask for some advice. As time progresses I may just start to be less circumvent and eventually go public with what happened and what I did and why I feel very strange.

I know these opening paragraphs are strange, but I did warn you about a pickled brain -- mine.

How common would any of you feel it could be that a major media company's landing page was throwing out fake malware alerts?

Now, before you start thinking that I am mistaken in what I am stating as happening, let me explain that the third time I was prepared and I have a screen grab, the URLs, and the complete cookie files with all cookies.

You see, I cleared all browser history and all cookies and I have software on this unit for seeing and saving browser history and also software for saving cookie files and what is in them.

There is no doubt at all that it was a fake malware alert.

But I am now beginning to think that this isn't so serious and so my efforts to report this to the media company and the police was just plain stupid. Was it?
Old February 23rd, 2020, 11:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
They replied to you and thanked you. You have done what was necessary and now it is up to them to act or otherwise, it is no longer your concern.

You should take no further action, it may confuse the issue and probably backfire on you if you do any more. Sit back and feel contented that you have done what was in your power, the ball is now in their court.

It can feel frustrating when we act to identify a problem and nothing appears to be happening, but that is just the way it is, none of us can solve everything.

Congratulations for advising those in whose provenance this problem exists.